Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by Saxondog »

Seems I have missed the disign of the King Tiger in the picture,so at this point I am claiming field applied paintwork early 1944 with zimmerite. I think this is in line with ICE'S post about paintwork and zimmerite. Correct me if I am wrong but early 1944 would of been base coated,with zimmerite and field applied camo?

Saxondog
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

By some weird,trick of fate my paintwork seems to be very close to this Tamiya Painting guide? I don't recall seeing this before but it is certainly close to my paint design. What do you guy's think? Saxondog
!CFDu6UQ!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjME0,,JfHN3BNT4+NGWkQ~~_12.JPG
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

Have my favourite new book, modeler's guide to the tiger tank out. Do you have this one. Some nice photos of abt 503 king tigers. Nice photo of 233 in Hugary. They seem to be in clean condition with the occasional missing fender if anything. Some nice detailed drawing in this book especially the turrets. I can probably scan the drawings if you need them.

John
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

HI John, Are their any pictures of Grossdeutschland KT's? Or crewmen on KT's with the Right Arm cuff title? Only Grossdeutschland troops wore the cuff title on the right arm and I am always searching for GD Troops on KT's. Thanks for the offer,the book you reference I do not have. cheers Saxondog
Porsche King Tiger with Grossdeutschland Crew
Porsche King Tiger with Grossdeutschland Crew
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Some progress,the Varnish has finally dried although the camera does not show the matte look very well,perhaps some daylight pictures would be best. The 013 is First Company Third Platoon command version KT,I will include the dual radio antennae as a nice detail.

The gun mount and turret face is missing a seam, this allows me to lift the turret house and service the gun system, this tank is set up for the paintball gun system me and Dietrich have been working on.

The decals are mine printed using the Testers Decal maker software,and the glossy backed paper,next set of tactical decals will be Matte backed. The White Helmut needs a stronger Black outline,that is used on the command Tanks.

Bottom hull is nowhere near complete,hoping to assemble that section this weekend,along with the modified wheels with bearings, painted the lower in Rustoleum rust primer,but did this before assembly. I just think the details of the suspension look better unpainted.the outside lower is the basic Tan. Control arms are tan, Have not decided about the wheels color yet,they are painted in the base coat tan. More to follow,

Saxondog
Attachments
Henschel King Tiger Command Tank
Henschel King Tiger Command Tank
majordisastor
Lance Corporal

Post by majordisastor »

I must say - thats an attractive camo job you have chosen - always good to see somthing a little bit different !

Coming along very nicely !!

Andy
It always gets darkest before it goes completley black......
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks Andy, I like to do the unusual paint-schemes, And realize that we can not fully document and reproduce the "ART"of battlefield painting.I used the airbrush to apply the base coat,and some area's of the other three colors,but the brush was used as well. And the Varnish was applied this time with a brush.

Saxondog
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Well be tapping the control arms to 3mm, then installing Dubro shoulder bolts for axles, these worked very well on my Tiger. Blake
dsvirus
Lance Corporal

Post by dsvirus »

Ok I have found the thread! Lets go! :)
Von kraftwerk
Lance Corporal

Post by Von kraftwerk »

a bit late now Blake,but earlier in this thread you asked about henschel KT units that would have fought with GD well sPzAbt 505 with the famous charging knight insignia,they were in action alongside GD losing thier last tanks by the fritches haff on the East Prussian coast in April 45,also Ice monkey I met a Das Reich vet Uscha Gert Krassner who ended up in a KT at seelow,and Berlin,with SSsPzAbt 502 so crew for this unit came from DR,just like SSsPzAbt 501 came from LAH,the GD man in the Porsche could have a simular story,these men proud of honrific cuff titles would have kept thier hard earned insignia

Return to “Tamiya Builds”