Rubber pads coming off metal tracks and more

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Darkas
Private

Rubber pads coming off metal tracks and more

Post by Darkas »

Hi,

May I ask you some questions?

Q1:
I have metal tracks with rubber pads on my Leopard.
I used Bison super glue (2 second glue) to fix the rubber pads onto the tracks, but they are keep coming off.
Glue was for rubber AND metal, so that must be ok... I thought.
What glue do I need, or what sort do you use, to prevent losing pads?

Q2:
I have a KOMODO+ installed to prevent the mega stupid track recoil.
It seems only to work with the BB shots.
If I push the canon button on the transmitter it still does the track recoil. >:<
Is there a way to block that too?

Q3:
I have original battery pack 2000mAh build in with an external socket for charging.
Hidden in the back of the tank, only a 3mm hole is visable.
Works fine, but why on earth did they not include a led control on the charger to see if it is charging and to control when it's ready and auto shut off.
What happens if the charger is charging too long?

Q4:
I have lots of Lithium batteries type 18650, 3600mAh, 3.7v (for electronic cigarette MODS)
Tank runs standard on 7.2v
Can I use 2 of these lithium batteries, (is 2 x 3.7 = 7.4v) linked together to power my tank?
For these batteries I have a full automatic "Intellicharger I4", with 4 loading bays.
And 2 of these batteries take less room than the original battery pack.
http://charger.nitecore.com/product/intellicharger-i4

Thanks for replying...

? Image ?
? HL Leopard 2a6
? HL 3rd gen 2.4 Ghz RX and TX
? 4.1 PRO steel gearboxes, 380 motors/18.000t
? Metal Tracks, Sprocket-, Idler- and Road wheels
? KOMODO+
? Slip ring for 360º turret rotation
? Selfmade Darkas unit
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Rubber pads coming off metal tracks and more

Post by ALPHA »

Darkas wrote:Hi,

May I ask you some questions?

Q1:
I have metal tracks with rubber pads on my Leopard.
I used Bison super glue (2 second glue) to fix the rubber pads onto the tracks, but they are keep coming off.
Glue was for rubber AND metal, so that must be ok... I thought.
What glue do I need, or what sort do you use, to prevent losing pads?
SUPER GLUE OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR "FAST" CURE GLUES ARE NO GOOD FOR RUBBER..IT DRIES BRITTLE...A LOT OF THEM SAY THEY WORK WITH RUBBER...THEY DO...BUT RUBBER TO RUBBER CONTACT...NOT RUBBER TO METAL...GO TO YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE AND GET SOME "RED" RTV MADE FOR GASKETS..IT ISN'T REALLY A GLUE...BUT WHEN HARDENED...IS THE STRONGEST "FLEXIBLE" SEALER MADE...THERE IS "BLUE" AND "BLACK" AVAILABLE BUT THEY DON'T STICK AS WELL
Q2:
I have a KOMODO+ installed to prevent the mega stupid track recoil.
It seems only to work with the BB shots.
If I push the canon button on the transmitter it still does the track recoil. >:<
Is there a way to block that too?
SORRY... I'VE COME TO LIKE THE TRACK RECOIL...SO I[VE NEVER MESSED WITH IT...THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOMETHING CALLED A "DRAGON" BOARD...NOT SURE IF IT''S THE SAME THING....BUT YES ...SOMETIMES THE RESULT IS HIT AND MISS
Q3:
I have original battery pack 2000mAh build in with an external socket for charging.
Hidden in the back of the tank, only a 3mm hole is visable.
Works fine, but why on earth did they not include a led control on the charger to see if it is charging and to control when it's ready and auto shut off.
What happens if the charger is charging too long?
NOT SURE WHY MANUFACTURERS TOOK OFF THE LED...THE OLD ONES HAVE THEM...THING IS ...DRIP CHARGERS ARE BETTER FOR THE "INITIAL" CHARGE...BEST TO INVEST IN A HIGHER END MODEL..OR A WATER HEATER TIMER (LIPOS HAVE IMPROVED SO MUCH ..THIS IT THE ROUTE I RECOMMEND)....THINK ABOUT IT THOUGH..IF YOU SWITCHING TO LIPO...DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE ORIGINAL BATTERY...USE IT FOR TESTING WHEN DOING MODIFICATIONS... AND THE LIPO FOR PLAY ...THE LIPO WILL REQUIRE A DIFFERENT "SMART" CHARGER...AS IT CAN IGNITE USING ONE FOR NORMAL BATTERIES IE: NIMH or NICD
Q4:
I have lots of Lithium batteries type 18650, 3600mAh, 3.7v (for electronic cigarette MODS)
Tank runs standard on 7.2v
Can I use 2 of these lithium batteries, (is 2 x 3.7 = 7.4v) linked together to power my tank?
For these batteries I have a full automatic "Intellicharger I4", with 4 loading bays.
And 2 of these batteries take less room than the original battery pack.
I WOULDN'T ...JUST GET A PROPER LIPO PACK FOR YOUR TANK...7.4 IS COMMON...AIRSOFT REPLACEMENTS ARE BEST...HELICOPTER LIPOS ARE OK...BUT HAVE SHORTER RUN TIMES ...BATTERIES FOR RC CARS WORK WELL TOO
http://charger.nitecore.com/product/intellicharger-i4

Thanks for replying...

? Image ?
Hope that Helps

Good Luck :thumbup:

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

For your track pads you want a stuff called Automotive Goop, or automotive gorilla glue either one. They're both VERY strong contact cement that is used to hold rubber seals to car body's, so rubber to metal exactly what you need. Red RTV may last for a little while, deff longer then crazy glue but not as long as the contact cement will.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:For your track pads you want a stuff called Automotive Goop, or automotive gorilla glue either one. They're both VERY strong contact cement that is used to hold rubber seals to car body's, so rubber to metal exactly what you need. Red RTV may last for a little while, deff longer then crazy glue but not as long as the contact cement will.
GORILLA SNOT???????????? 8O the yellow stuff?????????????...Used that on my Dirt Bikes ....it's good but looks like dried snot afterwards :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

No, this......

Or this....
http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-glue
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:No, this......
OK...That works...Looks better too :haha:
8O That's worse than GORILLA SNOT...that stuff gets real brittle in time lol

ALPHA
Darkas
Private

Post by Darkas »

Ok, thanks for the info.

I checked the rubber pads and there's not even one bit of glue on it.
They look like they are new.
So indeed, the glue I've used sucks!
But, now I have to clean all the tracks parts... 8O, 332 in total :yawn:

I'll see if I can get something better, like mentioned above.

? Image ?
? HL Leopard 2a6
? HL 3rd gen 2.4 Ghz RX and TX
? 4.1 PRO steel gearboxes, 380 motors/18.000t
? Metal Tracks, Sprocket-, Idler- and Road wheels
? KOMODO+
? Slip ring for 360º turret rotation
? Selfmade Darkas unit
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

The Goop is GREAT stuff, the gorilla glue I had customers who SWORE by it but I never tried it myself.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Darkas wrote:Ok, thanks for the info.

I checked the rubber pads and there's not even one bit of glue on it.
They look like they are new.
So indeed, the glue I've used sucks!
But, now I have to clean all the tracks parts... 8O, 332 in total :yawn:

I'll see if I can get something better, like mentioned above.

? Image ?
I think from the factory..those rubber pads are put on with something like double sided tape...if there isn't any residue on the pad..there might be some on the metal...if none ...that's probably why the pad came off lol...
With that said...yes do clean off everything...whatever doesn't come off ..rough up with some sandpaper (scribe for the metal)...then as happily as you can..GOOP those rubber puppies back on :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:The Goop is GREAT stuff, the gorilla glue I had customers who SWORE by it but I never tried it myself.
The Gorilla Glue is strange stuff...it foams up 8O ....then the foam will leave a nasty looking residue when it dries...sticks ok in the beginning...but comes hard as surfboard resin over time...becomes very brittle...sometimes it will turn to a fine dust because of that ...used it once...after experiencing that result..never used it again...even their duct tape sucks ...used that and it peeled off in a couple of days :|

I couldn't find an image of the one I'm talking about...think it was made by 3M...either they got rid of the "yellow" because everyone called it snot...or they just changed the formula and repackaged it lol

ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”