251 series half track tracks?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jackalope
Lieutenant

251 series half track tracks?

Post by jackalope »

I have a 251 series half track in 1/18th scale and would like to know if anyone could print tracks for it? The tracks it comes with are vinyl and are good for only being used as a static model but I intend to turn mine into R/C so I need new tracks. Anyone have any ides on what I could use or if anyone can print them please let me know.

Thanks. :thumbup:
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: 251 series half track tracks?

Post by ALPHA »

Hey Jack...have you checked EBAY...there are many sellers that carry metal tracks...mostly in 1/35th scale...but there is a good chance one of the odd ball sets they carry might fit the dimensions of the track you need IE: width and sprocket spacing :D

Take some measurements..and Ask...nothing to loose right ;)

Good Luck there Jack :thumbup:

ALPHA

PS. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

jackalope wrote:I have a 251 series half track in 1/18th scale and would like to know if anyone could print tracks for it? The tracks it comes with are vinyl and are good for only being used as a static model but I intend to turn mine into R/C so I need new tracks. Anyone have any ides on what I could use or if anyone can print them please let me know.

Thanks. :thumbup:
Jack, I put the metal tracks from Asiatam on the one I did. It was RC'ed with Vs Tank gearbox and it works reasonably well.

http://www.asiatam.com/product_info.php ... ---16.html

MichaelC.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Here is a pic. You can't really see the tracks, but the headlight is hooked up as well as the MG using Clark board and Vs 1/24 Tiger I gearbox with Asiatam 251 metal tracks. Since I am using the Clark board it can be driven like a tank, and I didn't put in a servo L/R on the front wheels.
DSCN1000.JPG
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

How well do the 1/16 tracks fit the 1/18 truck? Also how did the 1/24 scale tank gearbox work for you?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

jack, the tracks fit fine. I sold it already but I can try to get dgsselkirk to make a video and show you (I might have one somewhere but will have to look). I didn't put in the rubber pads because then it rides higher than the front wheels and I didn't bother with it. If you are re-doing the front as well then you would have to lower the front axle. The reason for the 1/24 gearbox is because of the width of the chassis, too narrow to accept even a mod Heng Long gear box.

I was inspired by another member on our local board who actually went the full monty (servo steering at the front as well), but I think he actually uses Pz III tracks so that might be an option for you as well. Here is the thread to his build:

http://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum. ... -halftrack
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

WOW his turned out awesome! Curious thought, how did he make the tracks help with the turning? I like that idea but how would I copy it? His idea for the tracks would be much cheaper then the Famo tracks which may well be the way I go too. I have VERY SMALL radio gear that will work perfectly but won't have any sound, but seeing how mine just has the rockets on the sides and no gun this shouldn't be a big deal. I'm basicly wanting to do this to pull around my 88 and to just have fun building it.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

jack, both of us using Clark boards on the 251, so it is basically a tank, when it needs to turn it will just using one side of the track and not use the other side. His also has a servo steering, but if you are using tank electronics then you track will start the turn for you anyway.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Michael, I have an idea! I have a left over 2.4 gig setup from Taigen, I'm gonna get the 1/24th scale drivetrain like he used and run the electronics like a regular tank. Then I plan to use the turret's left and right control to actuate the steering servo so for easy turns I'll just use the front wheels to steer it but in off road or sharp turns I'll use both the front wheels AND the tracks like a tank to steer it! :thumbup: And it will be able to have engine sounds should I hook them up though it will sound like a Taigen Tiger tank. :haha: But now that I plan to use the 2.4 Taigen gear I may build a PAK40 cannon turret for it as well so that the cannon fire sound effects can be used. The steering servo and the turret will both be connected so when the turret turns to the left the steering wheels will turn to the left and same for the right. I may have to upgrade to better electronics if I figure more I want it to do. :haha: If I had another IBU2 I'd be able to do everything I want however the size of the IBU2 will prohibit its use in such a small vehicle. I see you guys use a Clark board, how big is a Clark board?
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Build it Jack...and they will come :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”