Theory Of Stug Travel Lock Operations

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Theory Of Stug Travel Lock Operations

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Putting the finishing touches on a Stug IV and the last step is adding the gun travel lock. The travel lock is a rather primitive affair, totally unlike the much more complicated travel lock for the Jagdtiger, for example. In looking at pictures of the "real thing" most have a small chain that's attached to the right side of the cradle arm below the gun rest and anchored to the right side of the hull transmission plate. While I have my suspicions, can anybody explain the purpose of the chain as it it seems not to wrap over the cannon barrel to secure it in the cradle, but more to prevent the cradle from falling away to the left when the barrel is raised out of the cradle. Protect the concrete front of the extended driver's compartment from being hit and chipped, perhaps?

Here's the same travel lock, this time on a Stug III.

sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Theory Of Stug Travel Lock Operations

Post by sassgrunt »

I wish I could find a better picture of what you're asking. I've seen it, but can't find it. There is supposed to be a coil spring attached to the bottom end of the chain in your photo, that mounts to some point on the glasis that is out of view on the left, This holds the travel lock under tension, and pulls it out of the way to the right when the barrel is raised. (Saved someone from having to go outside to unlock it, like on a Hummel). There isn't enough room on the glasis plate for them to have made one that folds to the rear, like on a Jagdpanzer IV. My references say that this was installed on StuG IV's starting in July 1944.
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

Looking at these pics it looks like the chain is attached to the hull

http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps531016/ps531016.html
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks Sassgrunt and Voz. I think that's the answer. Appreciate the time and efforts, gents. I've seen a few variants of the travel lock appearing on models that could have been field applications, but the ones most seen are like the one on the Fleming Stug. Nice pictures Voz.

Here's a picture of my Stug IV sans the travel lock which will be attached in the next few days.

sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

That is SUCH a nice StuG IV, Schwerepanzer! I like everything about it - the paint scheme; the amount of weathering; the extended tracks - truly a museum-quality build.
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks for the kind words. I'll post more photos when it's completed.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Schwerepanzer,
Truly, sir, you are living the StuG Life. ;o) Your Tank Killer is an inspiration.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
trackpin
Private

Post by trackpin »

Truly a work of art,very impressed with the build quality,extremely well finished.Regards Trackpin.

Return to “General Questions”