Hobby Engine Abrams converted to Heng Long M1A2

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Hobby Engine Abrams converted to Heng Long M1A2

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi has anyone converted a hobby engine M1A1 abrams 1/16 to heng long electronics and if so have you any pointers/advice - I (maybe stupidly) just bought a non-worker for £20 in the hope that I can do a heng long conversion to get it working. Alwyn
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Convert Hobby Engine Abrams to Heng Long

Post by Tankbear »

I've done it and not too difficult

Start with the easy things like battery and motors, then traverse motor.

Then open the turret and trace out which wires do Bb, elevation and machine gun.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Magman, I was hoping for something positive like 'yes of course it can be converted'. I'll just have to wait until it arrives and then open it up and see what mysteries await.

Aha managed to find this by tankbear which looks exciting
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11257
So it looks like something is possible :think: :think:

Anyway worth a shot.

Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Ian, thanks for that, our postings crossed and I found your thread as per my post - you have given me hope! :)

Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

The hobby engine wiring is easy to follow ie positive and negative wire to everything unlike the heng long which has shared positives so three wires to headlights and machine gun or Bb and elevation.

Get yourself a rx18 wiring diagram, sort out the easy ones and your then left with just a few wires then trial and error LEDs will only work correct way but won't break if wrong way round and the motors will only go wrong direction.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks tankbear, yup I have an RX18 wiring diagram and will put it to use as soon as the suspect item arrives. Thanks for the advice, if I hit anything I can't understand I'll pm you if I may? Regards Alwyn

Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

Just hook the motors up first and turret turn. I have done three rebuilds of late and always run the lights off a separate switched and powered circuit so they are not on all the time anyway. Will make the wiring s lot easier.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks rocketman, I'm feeling more comfortable tackling this now I know several members have already 'been there, done that'. Hopefully it's going to be straightforward(ish). Regards Alwyn

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well I got the item (I will refrain from calling it a tank for the time being). First impression was that the box was very light, could there really be a tank in there? Opening the box the outside of the tank looked good, maybe I could do something with this? :S

Then I opened it up. There are companies selling these things for £100 or very close and I think they should be prosecuted! I paid £10 as a spares and repair plus £10 postage and that is about what this thing is worth. This thing is so cheap and nasty it gives cheap and nasty a bad name. I have bought chinese made rc cars for £14 that were better made than this. The pc boards look a joke, you can't change the crystal in the receiver. None of the components are made to be replaced. So it's use it, and when it breaks chuck it. Even the tracks have not been joined together properly! :-< :-< Magman I think your comment was pretty much on the button! :haha:

Anyway having said all that I now see it as a challenge to actually do something with it. Most of the wiring looks straightforward, Ill just have to have a look inside the turret when I get to that point. hopefully and can make a runner out of it. The first task is to put a decent battery box in it which I have salvaged from an old tiger carcass. Then put in an RX18 and receiver and connect up the motors and see if it runs?

Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Don't be too hash there is plenty of potential to make unique.

And strangely mine has out lasted some of my other tanks where I've spent 4 times as much money.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “General Questions”