painting with airbrush

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jagman62
Private

painting with airbrush

Post by jagman62 »

Hi, just wondering where you guys do your airbrushing in the winter time.My garage is a bit cold & damp in the winter so I do my modelling on the dining room table,don't think my misses would be very happy with over spray on walls & cabinets.Also what colour matches the American armour of the fifties.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: painting with airbrush

Post by billpe »

I use a large box my first Tamiya was delivered in, makes a nice large enclosed area to catch any paint that misses. I'm lucky enough to have an office/man cave which I can do it all in. The rug is testament to my messy use of a toothbrush and pigments.

Here's a pretty good article on the history of US army paints: http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/a ... drab/4536/. It's actually quite a complicated subject compared with the Soviet 4BO Green or German RAL 6003 Green.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Really depends on your airbrush Jag....Gravity feeds use very low pressure...so the over spray is minimal...but like Bill says..it's also quite easy to build a spray booth... ;)
As far as paint goes...Testors makes the best olive for allied armor IMO that is :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Like many of us ( I suspect ) I watch How To videos on YouTube for tips and tricks on painting and electronics. One neat thing I saw from a fellow named QDC748a is how to turn an inexpensive plastic storage bin and a length of dryer vent into a very nice indoor paint booth. A battery powered fan pulls the fumes through the tubing that exits out a cracked open window. He has a plastic lazy susan sitting in the bin that he rotates his work on as he sprays. Very clever! He does mainly 1/35 scale stuff so folks who paint larger things like our tanks could scale up a bit but the principle is sound.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I use this for the smaller parts...... Can't really fit a 1/16 tank in there, but pieces for sure.
$T2eC16V,!)QE9s3HFcpfBRLMIUUCOg~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16V,!)QE9s3HFcpfBRLMIUUCOg~~60_12.JPG (42.03 KiB) Viewed 591 times
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Portable-Hobby-A ... 20e467c59b
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Big box or news papers on the kitchen counter/island. I use Tamiya paints with my airbrushes and they have no harsh fumes or smell so no one in the house has any problems with it.
billpe

Post by billpe »

I keep telling my girlfriend that but somehow she says she can smell Tamiya paints. I actually quite liked the smell of Mig AMMO Kursk Earth effects oddly. I don't think I'm meant to like it.
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

I built a clear plexiglass box and hook a shop vac to the back of it and use coffee filter over the nozzle and plug it into the back of the box where I cut a hole... Also have a lazy Susan inside the box to rotate the project however sometimes you have to do one 1/2 turn the model around and do the other 1/2 because of tank barrels being so long but Models like Sherman, KV-1, even Mk. IV no problem.
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

billpe wrote:I keep telling my girlfriend that but somehow she says she can smell Tamiya paints. I actually quite liked the smell of Mig AMMO Kursk Earth effects oddly. I don't think I'm meant to like it.
Tell her I said no she can't. Tamiya acrylic paints are water based with no harmful solvents which is why I use them cause we have 2 pet birds that if the paints were solvent based it would kill them.

Do you use a compressor or canned air?
billpe

Post by billpe »

They contain Isopropyl and glycol as well, but yeah, they're completely safe unless drunk I guess - not that I guess many have tried. I use a compressor. Must cost a fortune in cans to paint that way.

Return to “General Questions”