Tamiya King Tiger Machine Gun

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Awins
Private

Tamiya King Tiger Machine Gun

Post by Awins »

I'm now at the stage of assembling the machine gun. The instruction booklet requires you to lightly abrade the optical fibre piece in order to transmit maximum light. Do I assemble the gun with a small section of this optical fibre protruding from the end of the machine gun barrel, or make it flush with the end of the barrel.
Also the instruction booklet tells you to assemble this using 'Synthetic Rubber Cement' what on earth are they referring to as this is not included within the kit. I had thought of super glue, but this wouldn't allow for disassembly should I need to later down the line.
Thoughts and help please guys. Cheers
I am not retreating, but simply advancing in another direction!!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tamiya King Tiger Machine Gun

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Awins, I have assembled this Tamiya bow machine gun both ways on various tanks. It is an excellent bit of engineering. If you want the MG firing to be visible from a viewpoint on the side or slightly back from the bow of the vehicle, leave a very slight length of the fiber optic there, past the barrel's muzzle. Rubber cement ( of any type ) is widely available and allows flexibility of parts if the gun is bumped. Takes a lot longer to cure than Superglue liquids or gels.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Awins
Private

Post by Awins »

Cheers Painless, is the rubber cement the same as silicone sealer used for bathrooms and kitchens?
I am not retreating, but simply advancing in another direction!!!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Awins wrote:Cheers Painless, is the rubber cement the same as silicone sealer used for bathrooms and kitchens?

No. Silicone is different then rubber cement. But honestly I would think either one would work. But if you need silicone just go to your local auto parts store and you can pick up a small tube for under $4.00.
jaw7620
Private

Post by jaw7620 »

I used some out of a pushbike repair kit couldn't think of anything else at the time it has lasted well so far

Return to “General Questions”