smokers

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

smokers

Post by edpanzer »

Now I know I'm new and haven't actually got a tank yet but I had a thought would the oils from e ciggeretes work in a smoker? They seem to produce a fair amount of vapour.
Its proberbly already been tried but I thought I would ask.
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
jarndice
Colonel

Re: smokers

Post by jarndice »

There is a rich and pretty pointless discussion on this subject if you scroll down to "ELECTRONIC's" and click on "SMOKERS", I bore people to death with my views on smokers in Tanks. But the short answer is this, Tanks in wartime are not expected to last long, they are after all front line combat vehicles, this is why both the American and Soviet Union churned them out like sausages and in the case of the T34 about as crudely, the German makers and designers quite simply over engineered their Tanks which is why they never built anywhere near enough of them. my point is this, these vehicles went into combat with brand new engines and transmissions, properly tuned and because they were new they would not, after they were warmed up, make smoke, why would you want an engine to smoke? it will give your position away. Unscrew your smoker and replace it with a decent control board or a better speaker. that way you will have a Tank that sounds right as well as looks right. sorry about the rant but this is a subject that winds me up. :-< :-< shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

Sorry Shaun didn't mean to get you ranting as I said I don't even have a tank yet it was just a random thought that popped into my head.
Sorry to open old arguments
Eddie
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long sherman
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

Can I just disagree about one thing new diesels do smoke even today until I got laid off I worked for Perkins engines (caterpillar) on the engine test dept there a lot better than they used to be but they do still smoke particle filters play a large part in reducing visible smoke.
1930s/40s technology they definitely smoked
Eddie
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long sherman
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The only army in WW2 with diesel engined Tanks were the Soviet Union, To this day you will still get people willing to swear that German armour had diesel engines, THEY DID NOT, I imagine that because German Tank engines were fuel injected and in that time very few fitters had seen fuel injected petrol engines, That allied vehicle mechanics when confronted with a 12 cylinder fuel injected Tiger 1/2 assumed they must be diesel. I therefore stand by my point of view, on a slightly different tack the German Air Force did have Diesel engined Bombers (JUNCKERS JU 86D and R1) they were not particularly successful but the R1 which sported a pressurised cockpit did gain some altitude records. :thumbup: shaun
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

:haha: Omg I'm such a newbie :{
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long sherman
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Ed, asking questions is the only way to learn. I learn something new off of this forum every day. Jarndice, my much loved Kamerad, I read somewhere that the British Army toyed with or had some of the M4A2 versions of the Sherman. Did those come with diesel engines?
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

50,000 Shermans were built so I would be surprised if they did not give it a try, The Mustang after all originally had an Allison engine but the British at that time were buying any and all the aviation types that the USA was making, but to keep the costs down and make engine servicing easier they fitted a RR Merlin which history shows changed it from a medium altitude mediocre aircraft to the finest fighter aircraft of the second World War, and which pretty much by itself gained air superiority over Germany thereby allowing the heavy bombers a much safer trip,The USA not being stupid built those Merlin engines on Packard assembly lines under licence!! :haha: the Merlin engine of course went on after the war to power British Tanks. the only British Tank with a diesel engine that I know of is the "LEYLAND MULTI-FUELLED CHIEFTAIN" a nasty piece of engineering from all accounts:thumbup: shaun
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strmnd54
Lance Corporal

Post by strmnd54 »

edpanzer wrote:Now I know I'm new and haven't actually got a tank yet but I had a thought would the oils from e ciggeretes work in a smoker? They seem to produce a fair amount of vapour.
Its proberbly already been tried but I thought I would ask.
To finally answer your question; yes, oil from e ciggerets will work in a smoke unit...
But since it's also king of expensive, I use baby oil in my units and it works just fine:

http://youtu.be/aBXrPieV0ac?list=UUoWjH ... nVnrbH3GxQ
Heated debates on climate changes contribute to global warming!!!
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi edpanzer,
Personally I like tanks that smoke...I realise that it is not always historically accurate.... BUT.. its one of those things that adds to the effect of a scale tanks engine 'running'..... its another thing that the tank 'Does' when it is moving or still and which somehow helps to bring it to life....and I think that this is a case where more looks better in a scale model....
This Panzer IV at Munster in Dresden smokes a fair amount..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhE0aAeV-os
Just as some thoughts, the Panzers which were struggling to be maintained in the wartime battlefield conditions may well have smoked.. a cracked piston ring, a blocked breather, a failing seal even poor grade lubricating oil would all have allowed oil into the engine which would have then been burnt and which would have come out as smoke......I am sure that any 'working' Panzer would have been used in battle, particularly when the 'tide of war' turned against them.
Just to return to the question...... about 'E cigarettes fluid'.. I am not a smoker but having looked it up they do work with a heating coil which vapourises the liquid.. so in theory in ought to work.. whether it will work any better than conventional fluid will need to be tested.. just pick one that is nicotine free or you will get 'hooked' and start 'hanging around' model tanks exhaust pipes :haha:
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished

Return to “General Questions”