What type of tanks do you buy and why?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

What type of tanks do you buy and why?

Post by jtracks »

I am curious as to what type of tanks you buy. I'm not asking brand here, but rather IR or air soft. When I purchased my first tank (Taigen Panzer IV IR) I did so with the idea that I could do battle with family and friends with the addition of more tanks so most of my tanks are IR. I now have two air soft tanks, but they don't get much operating time because I won't shoot them with the BB's. I'd also like to know if you buy strictly air soft tanks, how are you using them. I need some ideas so I can get some use from my air soft tanks. Thank you.

Joe
Joe
jarndice
Colonel

Re: What type of tanks do you buy and why?

Post by jarndice »

When I build a Tank I want it to look as close to a particular model of that type as my limited skills allow so it will always be airsoft because it is very difficult to disguise the I/R Bulb and unless you are building a Tamiya the i/r is redundant as Heng Long have realised as they have stopped making i/r versions,it really is what your intentions are about the use you are going to put your Tank to, :/ :/ :/ shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Joe,
Most of my tanks have been airsoft up until very recently. I've never used the little targets that came with them, rather had more fun pinging the shots off things at maximum distance of the gun. Now, I am getting into IR for the realism of the gun recoil and flash. not so much the battling. Jarndice has a legitimate thing about disguising the bulb. I use clear ones and polish the inside the metal barrel or at least paint it silver so it's hard to make out the bulb.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey there Jt....When I get a tank...there is multiple reasons...but for me it's basically affordability which is why I will generally stick with HL ...They aren't perfect by any means..but neither are the rest ...they all have little quirks to deal with...The entire board is proof of that.....as you see others build to their specifications...even Tamiya requires attention

The last reason is the level of depreciation....RC tanks don't really hold their value...unlike Trains that do....Tamiya might be the exception...just because there is a demand to get them at a bargain price...which is a rare occurrence
With all that said...it's always up to the Hobbyist and to which point satisfies his own sensibilities

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

jarndice wrote:When I build a Tank I want it to look as close to a particular model of that type as my limited skills allow so it will always be airsoft because it is very difficult to disguise the I/R Bulb and unless you are building a Tamiya the i/r is redundant as Heng Long have realised as they have stopped making i/r versions,it really is what your intentions are about the use you are going to put your Tank to, :/ :/ :/ shaun
I agree with you about the bulb. I have gone into the turret an pulled the bulb a little deeper into the barrel with my tanks. It's a trade off, bulb vrs barrel recoil for me. My tanks don't recoil via a servo. I saw a post and video here today about a HL tank firing BB's and has barrel recoil. My purchase habits may change if HL starts using 2.4GHZ radios as standard equipment in all of their tanks and offer barrel recoil. I'm not very good with electrics either.

Joe
Joe
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning, Joe,
Most of my tanks have been airsoft up until very recently. I've never used the little targets that came with them, rather had more fun pinging the shots off things at maximum distance of the gun. Now, I am getting into IR for the realism of the gun recoil and flash. not so much the battling. Jarndice has a legitimate thing about disguising the bulb. I use clear ones and polish the inside the metal barrel or at least paint it silver so it's hard to make out the bulb.
regards,
Painless
Good morning to you Painless,

I took one of my air soft tanks to the back yard and was shooting at nothing, just shooting and watching the BB's hit and fall. Until one of them hit the top of the fence and ricocheted off of my neighbors window. The "cease fire" order was immediately given. I haven't done it since. :haha:
Joe
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

ALPHA wrote:Hey there Jake....When I get a tank...there is multiple reasons...but for me it's basically affordability which is why I will generally stick with HL ...They aren't perfect by any means..but neither are the rest ...they all have little quirks to deal with...The entire board is proof of that.....as you see others build to their specifications...even Tamiya requires attention

The last reason is the level of depreciation....RC tanks don't really hold their value...unlike Trains that do....Tamiya might be the exception...just because there is a demand to get them at a bargain price...which is a rare occurrence
With all that said...it's always up to the Hobbyist and to which point satisfies his own sensibilities

ALPHA
Point well taken ALPHA. I'm beginning to think along those same lines as my inventory increases as does my need for realism. I'm finding if you want accuracy, then purchasing Tamiya parts trees is the way to go and thats getting expensive already. I need to figure out a plan for my realism needs which will include a budget and not cross that line. As far as the depreciation factor goes, I've never worried about that with my hobbies. I've never gotten involved with a hobby that I've looked to turn a profit.
Joe
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jtracks wrote:
ALPHA wrote:Hey there Jake....When I get a tank...there is multiple reasons...but for me it's basically affordability which is why I will generally stick with HL ...They aren't perfect by any means..but neither are the rest ...they all have little quirks to deal with...The entire board is proof of that.....as you see others build to their specifications...even Tamiya requires attention

ALPHA
Point well taken ALPHA. I'm beginning to think along those same lines as my inventory increases as does my need for realism. I'm finding if you want accuracy, then purchasing Tamiya parts trees is the way to go and thats getting expensive already. I need to figure out a plan for my realism needs which will include a budget and not cross that line. As far as the depreciation factor goes, I've never worried about that with my hobbies. I've never gotten involved with a hobby that I've looked to turn a profit.
Don't misunderstand my terminology when I refer to the depreciation... as I rarely sell my collections at all...it's just that there is a reality that some day all good things must come to an end... ;)

With that said... some of my Trains have already quadrupled in value...and will only increase in time...so at least there is a legacy left when I'm six feet under ;) Something I can't say for my tanks...no matter what brand they are

Bottom line is I just have fun ... because that's what it's all about Enjoyment is always in the hands of the Hobbyist :D

HAVE A GOOD ONE JAKE :thumbup:

ALPHA
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

ALPHA wrote:
jtracks wrote:

ALPHA
Don't misunderstand my terminology when I refer to the depreciation... as I rarely sell my collections at all...it's just that there is a reality that some day all good things must come to an end... ;)

With that said... some of my Trains have already quadrupled in value...and will only increase in time...so at least there is a legacy left when I'm six feet under ;) Something I can't say for my tanks...no matter what brand they are

Bottom line is I just have fun ... because that's what it's all about Enjoyment is always in the hands of the Hobbyist :D

HAVE A GOOD ONE JAKE :thumbup:

ALPHA
I understand what you're saying, you're last sentence says it all.

Joe
Joe
Jake79

Post by Jake79 »

lol :/ This is Joe's thread Alpha......
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6

Return to “General Questions”