how good is the panzer 4

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
wingnut46
Recruit

how good is the panzer 4

Post by wingnut46 »

Hi my misses has brought me my first tank its a torro panzer 4 in winter camo it says has upgrades one witch is metal cogs in the gearing witch i thought cant be to bad and it is all so non crystal system so range is better than old days could anyone help me with bit more info on the torro panzer 4 many thanks
jarndice
Colonel

Re: how good is the panzer 4

Post by jarndice »

Hi, The Torro Panzer 4 is an uprated version of the Heng Long Tank, It still has the same failings such as the need to lower the rear rollers by 3 to 5mm, the need to relocate the co-axial mg, and it still has far too much plastic, also the headlights are wrong BUT it is a very good starting point where, by using the myriad upgrades that FORGEBEAR and http://www.welshdragonmodels.com can provide will turn it into a great example of the only German Tank to be in service and production throughout WW11, if you go to HENG LONG BUILDS and look at what has been done to them by other builders you will get a better idea of its flexibility, right now PHILIPAT is doing a finely detailed build that you might like to look at, It does at least have the 2.4 Ghz TR/RX that gives it some advantages over the crystal version. If you intend to do a proper job you might like to change the Suspension and the wheels and rollers, fitting metal tracks is not a bad idea but if you intend fighting it then keeping the plastic tracks is fine. I swear by the rear Idler adjustment that allows easy track adjustment but there are other members of the Forum that say it is pointless! A word of warning, this is a Tank that had an enormous range of modifications throughout its life so you will always find there is more to do. But whatever you do, enjoy it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Unlike WO2c Shaun Jarndice... I like the Panzer IV....I don't have the torro version..I'm sure it has a lot of metal bits on it... the only thing that troubled me about the tank was the suspension....I would say you are blessed if they work as well as the Heng Long...because the Taigen/ Asiatam suspensions just don't work properly ..and you will need to mod them I did a mod on mine...I don't think it's there in the thread anymore as I may have removed the information...but if yours is all metal for the suspension ..I will assume you will have no bounce.....the remedy is easy...just get yourself a set of Heng Long springs and replace the long spring ;)

Good Luck :thumbup:

ALPHA
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

I like my Panzer IV. It is the Taigen model and was my first tank also.It does need some improvements. It came with metal tracks, drive and idler wheels. I did lower the the fourth roller as was suggested by Scalawag (thanks Paul). I've looked for replacement head lights but can't seem to find them. I've also repainted because I didn't like Taigen's winter camo paint. I still need to get back to it and paint the tires. Also, as ALPHA has noted, the suspension is non existent but I've found it hasn't hampered the running of the tank. I like it overall.
Joe
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

J don't take ALPHA to seriously, after my wife and children comes my affection for Panzer 4s, about the headlights, if you go to www.welshdragonmodels.com and click on Panzer 111 you will find them, they are depending, on the pz4 type you are building identical, as are a number of other bits and pieces,such as tracks, the difference between pz111 tracks and pz4 tracks is only in the number of links, cupola etc, Forgebears E-BAY site carries Panzer 111/4 spares as well. :thumbup: shaun
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

Thanks Shaun, I have seen that Panzer III lights were available at a few different places but didn't know they were the same. Thanks for letting me know.

Joe
Joe
jtracks

Post by jtracks »

Just ordered the head lights Shaun, thanks again.

Joe
Joe
wingnut46
Recruit

Post by wingnut46 »

Hi guy thanks for all the info its really helped i have found a online shop sells all the suspenion parts and the metal tub i have hat to be all nice to the misses to find out bit morr about it to lolit has all metal road idle and drive wheels says had up graded motors to i cant wait for it to come many thanks for all the help. Did you paint your panzer your self jtracks?
wingnut46
Recruit

Post by wingnut46 »

Jtracks the shop is called tankzone.com its got a kit to turn the panzer 4 in to a stug4 looks anazing but the metal hull think going be my first upgrade and habe ypu seen the top kits that going on flebay that turns it to a open top with a 88 on it looks amazing but dont think worth 130 quid lol
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Wingnut you do realise that the metal hull has no electrics except the gearboxes? Most people buy a clapped out plastic HENG LONG PANZER 4 and transfer everything across, just a thought. :thumbup: shaun

Return to “General Questions”