Can a gear slip one way and not the other ?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Can a gear slip one way and not the other ?

Post by MichaelC »

Hi all,

Can a gear slip one way and not the other ? I have a brass gear set that with any resistance it will slip (Between the final drive shaft gear and the second last one) when going forward, but it won't when it is going backwards. The weird part and I still have to think about whether this has anything to do with it, is that if I just turn the sprockets by force, I can make it slip when turning it backwards but can't get it to slip if I try to turn in the direction of going forward.

Does this make sense ? Or turning it by force doesn't really tell you whether it is slipping or not when you have resistance.

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Can a gear slip one way and not the other ?

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:Hi all,

Can a gear slip one way and not the other ? I have a brass gear set that with any resistance it will slip (Between the final drive shaft gear and the second last one) when going forward, but it won't when it is going backwards. The weird part and I still have to think about whether this has anything to do with it, is that if I just turn the sprockets by force, I can make it slip when turning it backwards but can't get it to slip if I try to turn in the direction of going forward.

Does this make sense ? Or turning it by force doesn't really tell you whether it is slipping or not when you have resistance.

MichaelC.
They shouldn't slip at all... try and look for the loose point...mark it ...take the gearset apart and see if you can use a punch to seat it ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Just in case Michael ... logically you can't punch the spur... so punch the extended area ...rest it on a hard surface...put the punch on the marked area and give it a good whack with a med weight hammer

ALPHA
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi The early brass gearboxes which had a aluminium frame to hold the gears ,these gears used to have a problem with the final drive gear, the aluminium frame used to bend when under load, and let the gears jump but it didn't do it going the other direction. are these the gears you have . they can be repaired and made stiff so it dosnt bend .

regards pete
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks guys........ ALPHA, what do you mean by punching the spur/extended area ?

971wright, that is exactly what I have and I think you suggested the same solution in my original post on my Maus problem. I have resolved multiple issues (track slack and just not running smoothly) and at the same time move the final drive gear to use the another gear towards the middle (which created other issues but at least I got it to move) and I thought I would try my luck and go back to the original set-up and same problem.

How can you make them more stiff ? I just don't see any room in either mounting tightening bolts on the frame itself. The one I have has the final gear basically sitting on a piece by itself entirely outside of the main gear set.

MichaelC.

MichaelC.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi I have never done the repair but have seen photos of it , the short side is the side that needs support , one repair I saw was to cut up a plastic gear frame(using the steel sides ). and make a right angled bracket which was then screwed to the bottom and side he used self-taping screws to attach the support he used four screws two in the bottom and two in the side.

regards pete
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This is a photo of Sassgrunt's gearbox is it like the one you have Michael?

These are Asiatams...not much of the extended area on the gears...think other brands do have them ...the extended area I am referring to is the short area that can be seen clearly on the final drive (area with the grub nut)...there might be a factory defect where either the axle isn't completely round... peening it will seat it into the flaw ...hopefully ;) ...another solution would be to see if you can shove "something" into the defect and glue it there ;)

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

It is almost the same. The gear layout is identical other than the final drive :
mato-5-1-gearboxes-for-mato-matorro-king-tiger-1729-p.jpg
mato-5-1-gearboxes-for-mato-matorro-king-tiger-1729-p.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 983 times
The black arrow is where it is slipping, and the red arrow is pointing to the piece that as 971wright says, bending out when under load and separate the final gear from the second last one in ONE direction. The other direction pushes it in so it is not a problem.

I have shim a washer underneath it right now as it is mounted on the base plate as shown in the picture and is pushing the frame back in but I don't think it is going to work too well or last too long.

Can't seen to find these sets anymore. They are for the Matorro King Tiger only I believe, or the Mato All Metal Tiger I. Can't remember which one they are from but it is definitely from one of them.

P.S. I did get creative and try to move the final gear to the middle and use the second last gear that is in the middle. It solves the problem of contact as it is in the middle of the shaft/frame, but then the ratio is all over the place. There is no enough power on that middle gear to drive it. I have 400 motors spinning like crazy and no torque to the sprockets.

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey Michael.... looks like those axles are brass...have you tried melting some solder on the gear/axle junction?...you would need a Iron 100 watts + to do it...heat it till the solder seeps into the gap.. you also might be able to use loctite through the grub nut hole...thing is once you do that..you will have problems soldering it

ALPHA
stug 85
Corporal

Post by stug 85 »

They look like the ones Pete was describing I had the same set in a panther I glued some pennies under the final drive gear to stop the frame from bending and it was fine after that

Return to “General Questions”