Gun Barrel colours

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Gun Barrel colours

Post by jarndice »

I know this is a blindingly obvious question but I cannot find the answer elsewhere, what was the colour of the mg34 gun barrel when mounted in the hull and the co-axial mg in the turret of German armour, I am thinking matt black but of course there is also gun metal as on the infantry MGs. ??? shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
scalawag

Re: Gun Barrel colours

Post by scalawag »

Hi Shaun

This is one of the best reference pics I have found for the MG34 with the panzermantel armoured barrel shroud as used in panzers.

This one purports to have the original WWII finish, and has not been refurbished, so should be a good representation for colour.

Clearly shows the correct orientation of the armoured shroud with the slots on the top and bottom of the barrel, and all the accessories for the gun in this configuration.

Paul
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Paul, Thank you, that looks like a semi-gloss black, your timely reply arrived just before I prepared my lady's birthday breakfast tray, now is it a 1 minute egg or an 8 minute egg? :haha: I know it is an American feast day but I shall never the less wish you a happy halloween. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

:haha: A happy Halloween to you too Shaun, and a happy birthday to your other half. :D
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Thats not semi gloss black but thats probly the closest color that painting would be able to come up with. Gun bluing is a tricky color to try to duplicate. :thumbdown: Damn chemical reactions!
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Using a single colour will not give that good a representation of a used firearm. There is no single colour which will do this as they will all look too one dimensional.

I use Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal as a base coat. That is then given a wash with either x-18 Semi Gloss Black, or XF-85 Rubber Black depending on how much shine I want. I make the wash by diluting down the Tamiya paint with water, and I tend to use a very thin wash and use multiple coats to achieve the look I want. Last step a very very light dry brush with XF-16 Flat Aluminium.

Here are some MG 34s I did earlier in the year, these have a rubber black wash.

Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Hi, I don't think its a daft question, I bet there like loads of modellers who have there own interpretation, as we have now seen what the original looks like, all mine from now on will look like that hopefully!

Thanks Boys

Happy Halloween

John
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Bogeyman wrote:Hi, I don't think its a daft question, I bet there like loads of modellers who have there own interpretation, as we have now seen what the original looks like, all mine from now on will look like that hopefully!

Thanks Boys

Happy Halloween

John

Absolutely John, there is no right way to do this, and it all depends on what you want the finished article to look like. I have seen modellers add a wash of dark blue to what I have described, but I have not tried that myself yet. :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Scalawag's MGs are incredibly accurate and so very close to the original depicted that they are indistinguishable. Lacking the patience of my Pal, I use Model Master's Gunmetal Blue and Dullcoat then brush with a weathering silver from Tamiya. I don't have a picture of an MG-34 laying around but 'In The Mood's .50 cal is a pretty good approximation.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Browning .50 cal detail with added rounds and open resin can.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi painless, and thanks for the compliment on the MG34s. That model masters gunmetal blue looks interesting, I will have get some of that to try I think. ;) :D

Paul

Return to “General Questions”