Another electric question - Headlights

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Marc780
Corporal

Another electric question - Headlights

Post by Marc780 »

I ripped the wires loose from my king tiger headlight. There's no loose wires from it left just two contacts. As for the wires feeding to it, I can only find ONE loose wire! Can't find the second one, I looked for half an hour! I tried testing it, i hooked two wires from the battery straight to those contacts-it was bright for about half a second the POOF-dead...I'm thinking i popped that light alright.

See? One wire and something sticking out. What sorcery is this.

I sent away for some metal Tiger 1 lights, with the wires coming out, I will just cut the old headlight off, glue the new one on, paint and mod it, drill a hole in the hull for the new wires. I just don't get how the old one works and I don't wanna risk frying another Rx!

QUESTION is, is there a resistor or some such in line with the headlights? Can i wire the new headlight straigt to the battery or will it just blow out right away if i do that? I don't want to burn out the new lights-or my Rx. I don't mind if the headlight is on whenever the power is on, if i wire it to the on off switch (I have my Rx fan wired this way too) will that burn up the headlight also?
FreakyDude
Corporal

Re: Another electric question - Headlights

Post by FreakyDude »

What electronics are you using? let us know and I'll tell you the proper way to hook them up.
RX18 from Heng Long? Clark board? IBU2, Taigen, El Mod that is critical. I assume you are using the RX18 from Heng long but you know what they sau about people that assume right.
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

FreakyDude wrote:What electronics are you using? let us know and I'll tell you the proper way to hook them up.
RX18 from Heng Long? Clark board? IBU2, Taigen, El Mod that is critical. I assume you are using the RX18 from Heng long but you know what they sau about people that assume right.
Well i'm using the standard heng long electronics, with the 2.4 ghz. The problem is the wire to the headlights, i pulled them loose and I can only find ONE of the wires. It's a mystery. If i have to wire the new headlight straight to the on off switch, i don't mind, i just don't want to burn up another headlight, if the new headlights cannot take the full 8 volts, then i guess i need a resistor of some kind? However it works, doesn't burn up, and can just shut off with the on off switch-or preferably wired to the circuit similar to how it was before I tore the wires out-I'd be keen with that, I just don't know where to start and if i need something else in line with the headlight. Like some kind of resistor? I just don't know much about this stuff.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

MARC, If your TIGER is a HENG LONG or a TAIGEN/TORRO you will discover that the headlights are sleeved into place in a "D" socket, using a DEBONDER ( I use ZAP7 ) and working the headlight it will come free then clean out the socket and the replacement will slot straight in. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Marc,

The headlight LED is usually only 3 volts. It will last couple of seconds if you plug it straight into the battery.

The headlight Pos+(Red) is usually wired into the MG Pos+(Red) and then onto the RX-18/Taigen MFU. Maybe that's why you only see one wire going to the MFU and that would be the Headlight Neg- (Black).

See if you can find a loose connection coming out of the MG and that should be wired with the red from you headlight and both going to PIN 6 on the 8 pin plug. Headlight Neg- (Black) should go into PIN 7 on the 8 pin plug.

You don't need a resistor if this is a single LED.

MichaelC.
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

mike there is no wire to the MG, its non functional...thanks for explaining about 3 volts though, at least i wont burn up my new headlights too! That explains the single wire to the headlight though...I glued the headlight in place because it was wobbly so it's not coming out until i cut it out, Im gonna glue on the metal headlight from the picture, onto that mount...wish i would have asked here first before messing with this stuff. so what should i hook the new wires from? Can i just tee in to the wiring for something else? the new headlight will have two wires, the red and black...where else could i hook them up to? Maybe I could make a t, from the wires from to the speaker wires plug, is that 3 volts?

Another option, I didnt need to replace the KT headlight ass'y before but i do know (POOF) i could order the proper headlight from mato mart for $10, then i will only need the one wire? Perhaps that would be the best solution over-all. I'm a genius for half baked solutions that then come out looking ugly, so perhaps trying the proer way, is the best way...I don' t get how it gets voltage from one wire though!!!! B| ...and i put too much of my (LIMITED) modelling talent into this KT to ruin it now!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Marc,

There is no one wire electrical.......... You always need two. Your MG is not functioning ? Is there a reason for that ? Anyway, the wire that you need to connect to is the pin 6(red) and pin 7 (black) on the hull 8 pin board that goes into the 8 pin plug on the HL/Taigen MFU.

You don't need to t into anything. PIN 6/7 on the MFU 8 pin is for the headlights only.

Mike.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Hey Marc if you want I can send you the headlight and wires from my Taigen King Tiger as I'm upgrading the lighting on mine and won't need the original anymore. Let me know if you want it and I'll mail it out to you, I should have a padded envelope laying around I can use if not thats all I'd charge you for if you want it.

I won't be sending you the plug as I need that but I'll send you the light and the wires still on it and no mines not blown out like yours is. ;)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Kind of surprised no one said anything Marc...but you do have two leads on your light

from what I can see there is a silver lead behind what looks like a black wire... that's not a wire...it's another lead...but is covered with Micro shrink wrap... if you pulled that off ...the lead to the LED would be there ...so you "would" have two leads to the LED

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Along with what Alpha said the longer lead on the LED is the POSITIVE side, the shorter lead is the NEGATIVE side. Unlike a light bulb an LED can not work if hooked up backwards.

Return to “General Questions”