taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
alphatiger88
Recruit

taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

Post by alphatiger88 »

how do fella's ,
i need a little help , i have a HL early tiger , it has metal tracks , sprockets , gearboxes and suspension arms, i would like to add a metal taigen lower hull but am wondering if it will accept (with acceptable modification) the plastic upper hull from the HL ? or, will i have to buy a taigen upper hull to utilize the quick release hull access .
i would like to keep the upper hull plastic as the tank is already getting a bit heavy , the main reason for wanting to do the mod is to get rid of the idler mounting flex and to give greater flexibility when i get a new IBU2 pro board (or similar) in the near future for 3s li-po running with further gearbox mod to give much lower gearing ,
thanks for any advice
:thumbup:
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Re: taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

I used an early hl tiger 1 upper hull in my build, the only problems you might have are having to move to upper hull 8pin connector block if its in front of the turret ring? If its behind it's fine, also the older hl tiger have a different wiring layout, so you may have to do some rewiring when it comes to fitting the IBU2 (I just got a new connector block from a more recent hl) let me know if you have any more question happy to help!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

It fits :thumbup: you just transfer everything in your HL over... ;)
The major difference is the Taigen hull locking system...you will have to either go with magnets to hold your upper to lower or fabricate a pair of locking brackets that match the Taigen set up

ALPHA
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

You don't need to make brackets they come with the taigen lower hull, they just screw into the upper hulls mounting posts :-)
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

wow :O , uber rapid response fella's , thank you so much :D ,
great to know the latches come with the hull , my hl tiger is a 2014 version so i think i will have to make a locating tab at the front of the upper hull which should be a piece of cake as there will be 2 redundant mounting posts in the upper hull to secure the diy tab to for it to mate up to the taigen item ,
thanks for the heads up on the ibu2 , all the connectors from the rx18(AFAIK) should be fine for the ibu2 , if not i dont mind a bit of wiring madness :thumbup:

thanks again to you all :)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:You don't need to make brackets they come with the taigen lower hull, they just screw into the upper hulls mounting posts :-)
Cool learn something everyday lol

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

alphatiger88 wrote:wow :O , uber rapid response fella's , thank you so much :D ,
great to know the latches come with the hull , my hl tiger is a 2014 version so i think i will have to make a locating tab at the front of the upper hull which should be a piece of cake as there will be 2 redundant mounting posts in the upper hull to secure the diy tab to for it to mate up to the taigen item ,
thanks for the heads up on the ibu2 , all the connectors from the rx18(AFAIK) should be fine for the ibu2 , if not i dont mind a bit of wiring madness :thumbup:

Good Luck 88...maybe a build thread and some photos ? :D

ALPHA
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Hey alphatiger you get the front latch / bracket too with the lower, if you check out my tiger build thread I think you can prob see it on some of the pictures, it just screws into the center mounting hole on the upper hull glasis plate, and the IBU2 wiring is pretty easy and the instructions are pretty good too :-)
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

ALPHA wrote:
alphatiger88 wrote:wow :O , uber rapid response fella's , thank you so much :D ,

Good Luck 88...maybe a build thread and some photos ? :D

ALPHA
thanks ALPHA , will do once i have got all the essentials together :)
spongehoobtank82 wrote:Hey alphatiger you get the front latch / bracket too with the lower, if you check out my tiger build thread I think you can prob see it on some of the pictures, it just screws into the center mounting hole on the upper hull glasis plate, and the IBU2 wiring is pretty easy and the instructions are pretty good too :-)
thanks again sponge , just been looking at your tiger thread , nice ,
i am planning similar but with longer gear boxes with extra gears and the ibu2 mounted between them , the rear half of the hull will have to house the speaker , rx and batteries ,
i am also working on a powerful miniature smoke unit using a 25mm fan hooked up to the ibu for proportional smoke, the fan will be mounted on the inside of the lower hull back plate to push air through a pair of e-cig vapour units that will be inside the exhaust fed from a small 1s li-po , if i can get it to work it should take up very little space and be better than anything else i have seen commercially available , and if the elements get cooked you can get a pack of 10 vaporizer units for a couple of pounds !! ,, fingers crossed :haha: :thumbup:
have fun fella's ,
thanks again :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hallo Alphatiger, one of my Tigers is TAIGEN hull and HENG LONG upper with a TAIGEN metal Airsoft turret, the TAIGEN comes with all you need BUT do make sure you look at everything in the box, the front retaining bar that secures the front of the hull to the HENG LONG BODY is not immediately obvious. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”