M26E4/Super Pershing Barrel length in 1/16 scale.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

M26E4/Super Pershing Barrel length in 1/16 scale.

Post by MichaelC »

Hi all,

If anyone can help out. I am after the length of the barrel from the mantlet (not including the mantlet) to the muzzle brake (not including the muzzle brake). I have 27cm in 1/16 scale after extrapolating it from Bradford's 1/72 scale drawing.

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: M26E4/Super Pershing Barrel length in 1/16 scale.

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:Hi all,

If anyone can help out. I am after the length of the barrel from the mantlet (not including the mantlet) to the muzzle brake (not including the muzzle brake). I have 27cm in 1/16 scale after extrapolating it from Bradford's 1/72 scale drawing.

MichaelC.
That thing is long Michael ...try PMing fynsdad or Palepainter... those are the only two that I can recall that made nice replicas of that tank :thumbup:
Here's Pale's build
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... R+PERSHING

This was fynsdad's first one
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... r+pershing
and his second
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... ng#p102339

ALPHA
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

On mine the measurement from back of the muzzle brake to front of the mantlet is exactly 28cm. My first attempt used joined-together aluminum barrels, and that turned out to be too heavy (the turret had a tendency to tip out of it's hold-down tabs when it was rotated to the side). I eventually replaced the barrel with a length of sectional graphite fishing rod. It's been awhile since I did it, and I don't remember exactly how I arrived at that length; but I spent quite awhile coming up with that dimension. -Mike
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks Mike. fynsdad also got back to me and his was 26cm. Just for completeness, I also "measured" Tamiya's by using their stock photo of the difference between the normal Pershing and the Super Pershing, extrapolate using the turret length vs barrel length and I got 28cm as well. Squadron Signal referred to a 5.5 feet difference between the two barrels and when I scale it out it come out to 24cm but that's clearly too short.

I ended up using 27cm as it looks alright to me, but I think anything from 26cm to 28cm would be good based on personal preference.

Thanks for all the input, it is very much appreciated knowing that I am within reasonable range.

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

So Sorry Mike(Sass)...forgot you made one too... :crazy: .....Glad you got your dimensions Michael :thumbup:

ALPHA
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Michael, now you've got me wondering about it all over again. I went to0 Hunnicutt's book on the Pershing. His reference tables say that the normal M3 gun had an overall length of 202.2". And, for the T15E2 gun used in the Super Pershing, the overall length is 272.9". In 1/16 scale that 70.7" difference works out to be 4.418", (or about 11cm).

I measured a stock Tamiya Pershing and got 16.5cm (the dimension you were talking about; not overall length). Adding 11cm to that, it looks like 27.5cm would be correct. Check my math, though - - I had to remove my shoes to get this far! -Mike
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Mike,

Thanks for supporting my eyeballing........ :-)

Anyway, this has been quite interesting an exercise I have to say. I guess when all else fails, we should follow Tamiya..........

Unless we go measure the actual M26E4 in Chicago (???), somewhere between 26cm to 28cm will have to do.

Michael.

Return to “General Questions”