HL Tiger 1 suspension idea.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tricky13
Recruit

HL Tiger 1 suspension idea.

Post by Tricky13 »

Only had a cursory look so don't yet know if this is going to be possible until I strip it completely, now this is a 2014 model so apparently there is metal bracing that the swing arms are screwed into, now I have noticed that there is a lot of movement in the arms and wheels so that when there is no weight on the tracks the locating extensions that are supposed to stop the arms moving too far downward don't actually do this.

So I first thought of getting some longer replacement axle bolts that where longer in the threaded section, and then sleeving them and use a large washer on the end to stop them popping out of the slot and help limit the movement/deflection , but as they are dual diameters and the replacements would have to be std thread instead of self tapper, it may cause too much of a problem locating them.

So after removing a couple of wheels and the suspension arms a had a play around with some washers and spacing, but came to the conclusion that actually removing the washers from under the arm mounts where the tension springs are actually removes a fair bit of play without causing any apparent problems with binding etc, so far so good, time will tell as they say,
Next I thought I may be able to eliminate some more play from the wheels by adding a small washer but didn't have any thin enough to stop them binding, but I may have a solution which I will try later on...and this is by simply using a small drill or countersink to remove a little plastic and allow the mounting bolt shoulder bolt to seat itself a little further in thus eliminating a little play without binding... like I said only an idea at this stage but as a temporary fix until further modification it should be fine.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: HL Tiger 1 suspension idea.

Post by jackalope »

I have that exact same hull and the arms don't just swing free like it sounds like yours do, thats really weird. I'd suggest trying the metal arms that Mato mart sells...... http://www.matomart.com/product.php?page=5&c=1000067 They're only like $20 and they do a great job of getting rid of any flex like the plastic ones do have and they also use part of the arm to fit into that slot to control movement.

Hope this help Tricky.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tricky13 wrote:Only had a cursory look so don't yet know if this is going to be possible until I strip it completely, now this is a 2014 model so apparently there is metal bracing that the swing arms are screwed into, now I have noticed that there is a lot of movement in the arms and wheels so that when there is no weight on the tracks the locating extensions that are supposed to stop the arms moving too far downward don't actually do this.

So I first thought of getting some longer replacement axle bolts that where longer in the threaded section, and then sleeving them and use a large washer on the end to stop them popping out of the slot and help limit the movement/deflection , but as they are dual diameters and the replacements would have to be std thread instead of self tapper, it may cause too much of a problem locating them.

So after removing a couple of wheels and the suspension arms a had a play around with some washers and spacing, but came to the conclusion that actually removing the washers from under the arm mounts where the tension springs are actually removes a fair bit of play without causing any apparent problems with binding etc, so far so good, time will tell as they say,
Next I thought I may be able to eliminate some more play from the wheels by adding a small washer but didn't have any thin enough to stop them binding, but I may have a solution which I will try later on...and this is by simply using a small drill or countersink to remove a little plastic and allow the mounting bolt shoulder bolt to seat itself a little further in thus eliminating a little play without binding... like I said only an idea at this stage but as a temporary fix until further modification it should be fine.
One thing I found that works pretty well is "O" rings...they are rubber so will compress when the screw is tightened...figure out what side they will work on best ...I usually put them in the screw side... they don't inhibit the movement at all...but take up the slack quite well ;)

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

jackalope, this was simply an exercise in trying to make the best of whats there, and not starting on the slippery slope of buying more parts just yet :)

ALPHA, I will give it a try, but I am not convinced that squashing an O ring between the screw head and the wheel or the arm side will not result in some braking effect... unless you have some very thin O rings?
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tricky13 wrote:jackalope, this was simply an exercise in trying to make the best of whats there, and not starting on the slippery slope of buying more parts just yet :)

ALPHA, I will give it a try, but I am not convinced that squashing an O ring between the screw head and the wheel or the arm side will not result in some braking effect... unless you have some very thin O rings?
I did it on both Panzer IV chassis... just because of how the suspension/ bogies are set up... they work pretty well... if you experience drag...just a dab of silicone lube will do ;)

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

O rings, new arms its all a slippery slope TRUST me! My little $150 Heng Long Tiger I is now an almost 20 pound $500+ monster and its STILL not done! :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:O rings, new arms its all a slippery slope TRUST me! My little $150 Heng Long Tiger I is now an almost 20 pound $500+ monster and its STILL not done! :haha:
Clearing throat.... ahem.... and who's responsible for that ? 8O ................... :haha:

Didn't you read the instructions? don't over feed Kitty :haha:

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A lot of us have found we are the proud owners of HENG LONG/TAIGEN/TORRO Tanks that have cost more than the most expensive TAMIYA after all the upgrades, what is priceless is the total uniqueness that is the final result, I am not sure I would buy a TAMIYA if it was a RTR, for me the build allows me to put my stamp of individuality on it, and whether or not it is no longer authentic when viewed it is MINE. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I gotta agree with you Jarndice, I wouldn't do the type of stuff I have with my Tiger if it were an expensive Tamiya model. Not knocking them by any means its just I wouldn't be able to take a Dremel tool to my Tiger if it had a Tamiya price tag. And right now I LOVE my Heng Long, Taigen, Mato, Torro Tiger tank!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jarndice wrote:A lot of us have found we are the proud owners of HENG LONG/TAIGEN/TORRO Tanks that have cost more than the most expensive TAMIYA after all the upgrades, what is priceless is the total uniqueness that is the final result, I am not sure I would buy a TAMIYA if it was a RTR, for me the build allows me to put my stamp of individuality on it, and whether or not it is no longer authentic when viewed it is MINE. shaun
jackalope wrote:I gotta agree with you Jarndice, I wouldn't do the type of stuff I have with my Tiger if it were an expensive Tamiya model. Not knocking them by any means its just I wouldn't be able to take a Dremel tool to my Tiger if it had a Tamiya price tag. And right now I LOVE my Heng Long, Taigen, Mato, Torro Tiger tank!
I Agree as well.... though I often get criticized for saying so :haha: It doesn't matter .... have Tamiya...have Taigen...but love my Heng Longs :D

ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”