Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tricky13
Recruit

Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

Post by Tricky13 »

Hi....new here and have taken the plunge and ordered a basic HL Tiger1 and as I have been lurking here for a while, I still haven't managed to come across a list of colours used for Tiger 1 camouflage, I found this page but have no idea on the colours? sorry if I have missed an obvious post relating to this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=7613
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

Post by ALPHA »

Tricky13 wrote:Hi....new here and have taken the plunge and ordered a basic HL Tiger1 and as I have been lurking here for a while, I still haven't managed to come across a list of colours used for Tiger 1 camouflage, I found this page but have no idea on the colours? sorry if I have missed an obvious post relating to this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=7613
R&D is always a good first step when attacking a build.... I usually use google search images.... that way if you see a paint scheme or variant of tiger you like...you can copy the information... and bring them here before you start your project ....the system isn't perfect...nothing really is... but once the ball gets rolling others will come in and help with things they know..... but basically you have to find a foundation for your project...so things can begin ;)

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Thanks for the input fellas, I will decide on my favorite scheme, and come back and ask for more advice, while on the subject of paint, I have read that the HL tanks are ABS, is there any special prep other than degreasing needed before applying acrylics?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

ACRYLICS are great, clean and dry, then apply a number of thin coats of PRIMER, GERMAN armour used RED primer, I go to HALFORDS or any Auto spares shop for a couple of big rattle cans of red acrylic primer, half the price of modelling spray cans and just as good, SIMONIZ make a nice red primer. then let it harden before Spraying/brushing your top coat,and do not forget acrylic thinners. Please don't think I am taking the rise but you will be using MATT for your top coat won't you? there are a number of websites giving paint colours for WW2 armour, just go to GOOGLE. :thumbup: shaun. PS you will need acrylic matt varnish.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

LOL! yes I will be using matt colours....the comment conjured up an image of a young rookie tank crewman being sent out to wax the tank :haha:
Thanks for the primer tip.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:haha: WAX ON WAX OFF lol.... Seriously just make sure the surface is clean... most paints will stick to the HL coatings.... you can scuff it with scotch pads as well

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

I have arrived at a short list of these two patterns/colours, am I right in thinking that the base yellow/beige is the same for both? from what I have read here there is mention of only three base colours? and what would they be in Revell acrylics, as this is all I can get locally.
Last edited by Tricky13 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake79

Post by Jake79 »

Loving the look of the second one, quite fancy that on one of my Tigers. :)

Jake
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
billpe

Post by billpe »

For the 1st tank, it was probably grey overpainted with dunkelgelb

Return to “General Questions”