1/16th scale RC tank purchase options. (Tiger 1)

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SSGT Robbo
Recruit

1/16th scale RC tank purchase options. (Tiger 1)

Post by SSGT Robbo »

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a 1/16th scale Rc tank. ( German Tiger 1)

I have mainly been looking at the Tamiya / Mako series of kits. Both seem to offer the same level of quality but the Mako kits are significantly cheaper, whilst also being produced in metal .
Are there any kits in particular that you would recommend with regard to the tiger 1 ? It would be good to get the advice of more experienced RC tankers before splashing a few hundred £"s on a kit. Im finding it difficult to choose. :crazy:

Thanks for your time guys. :wave:
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Re: 1/16th scale RC tank purchase options. (Tiger 1)

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Hi Robbo,

Welcome aboard the madhouse that is 1/16 RC tanks!

No doubt you will get loads of advice (we are a friendly bunch).

I would say it all depends on where you want to end up. If you just want to drive a tank and shoot BBs then start at the bottom with Heng Long and get a feel for it. That's how I started. Go for sound and smoke as a minimum (the old, old ones were neither).

If you want better looks, movement and sound and you like building kits - and if you have more time and cash to spend - then go for Tamiya. The new RC kit is pricey, but note that Tamiya Tiger 1s are easy to pick up second-hand (and usually already built / painted) on ebay for around £200 - 250. No smoke though!

However, if you want a rugged tank with higher-end specs then Taigen is your best option. Not as good as Tamiya for sure, but ready to run straight from the box. You can also choose to have recoil and flash (so no BBs but a more realistic) and even infra red battle systems if you want to fight against other tanks.

As for metal, well that means a lot of things. If you want to detail your tank then metal add-ons are great (barrels, wheels, tracks), but start with an all-metal Tiger and you will soon find that there's an awful lot you might want to change - but it's very hard.

Hope this helps...

Tanks
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Perhaps too many choices when it comes to a Tiger.... like Tanks says ...it really depends on how far you want to go with it....Heng Longs are fine with me...but in the UK ... need things to bring it up to snuff....Taigen is a good median...Tamiya can be customized as you build it as it is a kit
More Cons than Pros on the metal Mato Tiger....it's an old model...and has many deficiencies ... and being that it is made of metal...a little more difficult to correct or customize... but the decision is yours... :thumbup:

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hallo ROBBO, Welcome to the Forum, TFTM is someone you should listen to, his advise and knowledge is part of the strength of this lunatic asylum,I would suggest you go to the HENG LONG BUILD SECTION of this forum and you will see his build of a NORMANDY TIGER 1, INSPIRATIONAL!!! which is why I shall take a different direction, Which Tiger you buy is nowhere near as important as to where you buy it, We have a BLACKLIST, just scroll down the menu to find it, on that list are many (to many) well known names, we have them on the list because members (including me)have been cheated, taken advantage of or just plain ripped off, avoid them and go to the RECOMMENDED dealers list, excellent people who we buy from, I would only add that you should check the date of the recommendation as some are a little long in the tooth, I like TAIGEN and TAMIYA but others here will scorn them and tell you of the virtues of TORRO or HENG LONG, the good thing is that if you are buying new then you will find that the quality of the products of any of the names I have listed is superior to anything that has gone before. a word of advise you will find if you decide to upgrade your TIGER that parts made for one make of Tank often fit others BUT NOT ALWAYS, Check here if in doubt, enjoy this place and ask all the questions you like and if you have answers please let us know. :wave: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

hi old chap wot wot .....
if one is uk or even from the colonies,then wdm or forgebear are ones to deal with there are other in the uk as wisely put [jarndice] check blacklist...... as for the tiger try a taigen latest model [forgebear] but if you are rich ,then Tamiya [wdm had a offer on ] you cant fail with a tiger all have them ......then when one see,s the light
become totally mad/insane then a Sherman is the only way ......wot wot
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

SSGT Robbo wrote:whilst also being produced in metal .
Metal isn't always better. For tracks, idlers and sprockets, gears and strengthened hulls yes. But for brash photo etch and some detail parts yes, but for everything else you're generally better off with plastic at 1:16 scale. Much easier to work with and finish, all looks the same when the paint is over it and some of these metal wheel sets are dubious in casting quality. For instance I have the Taigan metal wheels for my Taigan Tiger 1. The Tamiya plastic ones are better for several reasons.

If this is your first tank or you've no previous experience in modelling, I'd say buy a Heng Long Tiger 1, live with that for a while then make your decision about a more expensive tank. I wouldn't go with the Mato Tiger 1, its literally a HL copy in metal and has all the faults of the HL. The Taigan is better but mine has warped plastic and I found had many faults similar to the HL. The Tamiya is the best of them and if you get more than 1 tank costs go down as you only need to buy 1 radio for them all, if you get the right one.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

If you can snaffle a tamiya tiger 1 second hand off eBay the. I would say that's your best bet!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I change my stance.... I vote with Cannedheat...Get a Sherman.... nice ones are coming out from Mato...yes all metal...but all new castings.... Heng Long's is top notch... and Tamiya has Two different models to choose from :D

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I recently bought a Heng Long Tiger I and have had to replace the lower hull, road wheels, idler wheels, gearboxes and motors all just to make it run and not throw its tracks. All the parts I've replaced were with Taigen parts and now it can make it thru my backyard and the tracks stay on.

My 2nd tank I bought I went straight for a Taigen (King Tiger) and so far its been WELL worth the difference in money! I am waiting on new gearboxes for it but that was 100% my fault, don't run any tank thru a stream and them into dry sand as it turns to cement almost instantly in the tracks.

Have no knowledge about Tamiya tanks other then what I've read here which is awesome level of detail however the plastic model kit plastic and not as strong as that of any of the R/C tanks.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

jackalope wrote: Have no knowledge about Tamiya tanks other then what I've read here which is awesome level of detail however the plastic model kit plastic and not as strong as that of any of the R/C tanks.
That isn't correct.

Tiger 1 - The Tamiya Tiger 1 is a large polystyrene tub, which goes all the way from the floor to the top where the deck meets. Inside that is a metal tub. With the back and the glacis on its stronger than any other RC Tiger - apart from the Mato metal ironically - at this scale because its only the top deck which comes off and the hull forms a complete box. If the ABS on my Taigan is anything to go by, the styrene Tamiya uses is stronger ;)

The Tiger 2, JS2, KV's etc are all rigid metal tubs.

Leopard 2 - The bottom is entirely high quality ABS and it all fits together to be probably the strongest 1:16 outside of the Aeromate Tiger and its nearly all plastic of one sort or another. The gearbox is entirely ABS but I'd wager it's one of the toughest boxes out there.

Return to “General Questions”