Realistic tracks / rust

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Realistic tracks / rust

Post by Markocaster »

The tiger tank I bought that came as a box of parts has a set of metal tracks,
They were rusted by te previous owner. Is this too much rust to look realistic or am I just
Being dumb :crazy:
They are mighty orange !
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
scalawag

Re: Realistic tracks / rust

Post by scalawag »

Looks to much to me for a tank in regular use. That would be more like tracks that had been left in a breakers yard for a number of years I would have thought.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

scalawag wrote:Looks to much to me for a tank in regular use. That would be more like tracks that had been left in a breakers yard for a number of years I would have thought.
Yea I thought so as well. Any tips for darkening them ? I was thinking a rust removal spray or soak, like WD 40 and them perhaps some treatment after?
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

That is nice looking rust but way to heavy. I'd consider removing it then either blackening them or just painting them.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

billpe wrote:That is nice looking rust but way to heavy. I'd consider removing it then either blackening them or just painting them.
Thanks Billpe, I will have a go doing that :thumbup:
It is a bit much as is
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I would start by dunking them in a tray of warm oil overnight, dry them off and see what you have got, they may or may not look right, but at least you will have a better idea of what to do next, it's a certainty that you would only see tracks in this condition on a dead or abandoned Tank. There is a lot of information on the Forum on the best way to make tracks more realistic. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

jarndice wrote:I would start by dunking them in a tray of warm oil overnight, dry them off and see what you have got, they may or may not look right, but at least you will have a better idea of what to do next, it's a certainty that you would only see tracks in this condition on a dead or abandoned Tank. There is a lot of information on the Forum on the best way to make tracks more realistic. shaun
Thanks for the tip Shaun :thumbup:
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

8O That there is Nasty rust... Derelict yard rust..... hit them with a brass wire brush ... light strokes till you get them looking like they can still move...and not frozen solid :D

ALPHA
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Post by trackmech81 »

Alpha beat me to it. I was going to say use a wire brush and a little WD40 or mineral oil. Then run them on the tank over some concrete or asphalt. Not long, but enough to get them looking fresh used again.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Sorry not trying to hate or be a smart ass but none of the above. Go to the auto parts store and look for a product called "evapro rust" http://www.evapo-rust.com/ it works FANTASTIC! Also for those who have gun blued and didn't like the outcome this removes the bluing just by soaking the parts in it for a few hours. Its safe and non toxic and doesn't stink.

Once you de rust it you can use any gun bluing you want to make them black, OR if you want to do what I did order Brownells old world rust bluing and throw that on the tracks after the gun bluing and they turn out fantastic!
Last edited by jackalope on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Questions”