Lipo battery question

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Lipo battery question

Post by MichaelC »

Hi all,

Thinking of getting into Lipo for various reasons...... I know most of them come with a JST charge plug, but is it also possible to use Tamiya plugs ? I know some of them comes with two+ kinds of plugs. I suppose I could also change the Tamiya end on the tank but since all my tanks uses Tamiya plug it would make sense to do the switch at the battery.

Also I don't seem to see Tamiya plug ends on Lipo battery in general, is there a reason for that ?

Lastly, could someone explain what 2S, 3S etc means in terms of voltage ? I am planning on using them on Clark boards so 7.2V is the specs anyway.

Thanks !

MichaelC.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Lipo battery question

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Michael,

LiPo have a general power plug and a JST charge plug. You can get them with Tamiya plugs but rare, the reason I believe is the Tamiya plug connection is poor for high current demands other types like deans are used instead. A 5000mah 20C LiPo can deliver 100A of current so this could melt the tamiya plug.

2s 3s are basically number of cells. A LiPo cell = 3.7v (3v discharged, 4.2v Charged) so a 2S is 2 cells in series giving 7.4v or 3S 11.1v.

Also don't forget you need a LiPo charger as well, never use a regular charger on LiPo batteries.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

This was also posted on another forum

http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctankfor ... =55&t=7727
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hello Micheal.... Lipos all come with Tamiya style plugs....
This is the photo I posted on your DICKER MAX thread....the black end is a Tamiya " small" plug ....The big plugs are more common on RC vehicles with the exception of Helicopters...which still use various types.... the small plug is there basically because of Airsoft.....there was a time when Airsoft guns had either the big or the small..now mostly all the Airsoft companies have converted to small...mostly to save space...and with the generation of guns coming out... that are more realistic... a lot of companies... recommend lipo from the get go... even though they will "give" you a NIMH

That "dual leaf" has a small Tamiya... mostly for use in Helicopers and Airplanes... 7.4 isn't a popular voltage for Airsoft...There is only one gun that really uses it...the brand is PolarStar the gun operates like a paintball gun in theory ...so the only moving part is an electric solenoid ....the 7.4 is all you need
I ran 11.1s

But you can change the plug...or get an adapter when you purchase the battery...just specify what you need... ie: small to big....big to small ...small to Deans you also have to specify female or male.... in your case male small to female large

Good luck Micheal... make the switch...you won't regret it... just make sure you charge the battery in a steel pot or pan ;)

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thank guys...... That answers most of my question. Just one last one, the discharge indicator, do you leave it plug in the battery at all time when you are using it ? I just need one per battery right as it will stay with the battery when I am using it. Like I said, I am not converting just wanted to try them out and will get one or two to play with. Trying to figure out exactly what I need from HobbyKing:

- Balance Charger
- Lipo Battery
- T63 to Tamiya adapter
- Low discahrge warning do-hickey.

That's all I need I think.

Michael.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

I never bothered with the discharge alarm. The IBU2 I use has LiPo protection (shuts down the tank at about 6.6v) and I'm certain the Clark has low voltage protection. So your only risk is leaving tank turned or controller on when not used (it happens).

I know it's a lot to take on for battery change but honestly the change to LiPo in your tanks is well worth it, it will just feel more powerful compared to other batteries, specially on demanding terrain like grass.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:Thank guys...... That answers most of my question. Just one last one, the discharge indicator, do you leave it plug in the battery at all time when you are using it ? I just need one per battery right as it will stay with the battery when I am using it. Like I said, I am not converting just wanted to try them out and will get one or two to play with. Trying to figure out exactly what I need from HobbyKing:

- Balance Charger
- Lipo Battery
- T63 to Tamiya adapter
- Low discahrge warning do-hickey.

That's all I need I think.

Michael.
I don't use one lol...never did... not even in my airsoft guns.... interesting thing about Lipos...those things others always say I needed I never did...they are batteries...and so long you don't abuse them...they will serve you well

Just remember Micheal... that balance charger...get the simple one it's the best...If you are going to get the dual leaf for your Dicker Max...you need a Male to female adapter....that's just about it... that low discharge things .... beh ...not a big deal.... mostly because if you let a Lipo rest... you will find the charge is good again

Anyway Lipos are like anything else...once you get used to them... the easier it gets ;)

ALPHA
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

ALPHA wrote: mostly because if you let a Lipo rest... you will find the charge is good again

ALPHA
That sounds like LiPo auto recharge/ If only that was the case the worlds energy demand could be resolved with a few airsoft batteries :haha:
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tankbear wrote:
ALPHA wrote: mostly because if you let a Lipo rest... you will find the charge is good again

ALPHA
That sounds like LiPo auto recharge/ If only that was the case the worlds energy demand could be resolved with a few airsoft batteries :haha:
I wish :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: ....they are an interesting power source though... I remember being out on the airsoft field ... firing away... and just by ear could tell when the battery was getting weak...I usually always have a spare handy... and the norm would be to change it out...later I found... if I avoided fire... and let the battery cool... it would fire like it was fresh...but yes... after an hour or so... changing it out is better... ;) ........... :thumbup:

Pros and Cons to everything eh Tankbear.... I knew guys that put all the bells and whistles on their guns...power meters .mosphets... power alarms...didn't make much difference... in fact it made them hesitate... which turned out the same all the time... a dead opponent :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Where lipos are concerned it pays to get a decent charger.

Return to “General Questions”