WHAT is it made of?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ALPHA
Major-General

WHAT is it made of?

Post by ALPHA »

Junk resin casting.. good resin casting...do you know the difference? :think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rHdSWZLpQ
ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: WHAT is it made of?

Post by ALPHA »

Apparently it appears that not many know the differences in the quality of a resin Kit...I am going to turn this thread into sort of a tutorial to assist ..in recognizing and purchasing such kits..What I am going to try to show is the low standard in a bad recast in comparison to an original....hopefully there will be enough information to benefit.. Kitbashers ...Scratch builders ...and modellers in general :D

ALPHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we53TOJyt78
Last edited by ALPHA on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Pictures of the stug would be good.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tomhugill wrote:Pictures of the stug would be good.
Planning on including many photos tom... :D ...Don't worry lol... I've worked with resin kits for years before entering the world of RC Tankery... I know what good resin is ..and what bad resin is.... it's just sad to me that most of the people who do resin figures can recognize the quality difference right off and stay away from any seller that is peddling them... also that the recast market has bled it's way into this genre of model building

Pictures coming soon ;)

ALPHA

PS .The photos I am going to use will be of the kit I just received against a Profiline Stug A :D
Last edited by ALPHA on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Ok... for now I'm going to just start off with the photos from the seller

in general... in the photos ...the color of the resin looks good... when I opened the box... this was not the case... the resin has a redish hue...the density was also incorrect for what I expected to be a quality casting

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

As Promised... Photos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nKAq6V8Udg

On the left is the F ...on the right the A made by Profiline
you can clearly see the color difference... the good resin is much lighter and a tad bit more opaque

This is the crack..the seller spoke of... the good resin does crack...but this is a CHIP... as you can clearly see ..the piece that is missing is actually a shard... good resin does not "chip"

This photo shows the degradation of the mold.... the view port cover is distorted on the recast

That's it for now... I will address density on the next set of pictures... This first installment is to cover a few of the red flags you all should look for when shopping for resin kits.... the most obvious is the color...sounding by tapping on the pieces also helps...but that takes practice

Questions... feel free to ask ..I will try my best to answer :thumbup:

ALPHA

Huge bubble in the F box

note the sharp clean lines in the profiline hull......and the dull subdued lines in the F hull
Last edited by ALPHA on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

That doesn't look too bad at all, doesn't look warped, an air bubble but nothing massive. My imperial strurm top was far worse. Also remember asiatam haven't historically done resin parts. This might explain some of it.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tomhugill wrote:That doesn't look too bad at all, doesn't look warped, an air bubble but nothing massive. My imperial strurm top was far worse. Also remember asiatam haven't historically done resin parts. This might explain some of it.
It's the compound not the looks... though what you cannot see is that several of the outer details are seriously missing or misshaped ......on good resin this is easily repairable...on this stuff not so much...this stuff wears out sandpaper like nothing you've ever seen... taking a dremel to it takes a lot of skill... as it would be touch and go... otherwise the heat generated would cause it to shatter ..yes this stuff shatters like glass...unlike the good resin which I have seen fall from a 16 story building and bounce ...yes indeed... I was at a friends condo... and the head of a figure rolled off the edge :haha: ...we all thought it was a goner .. five of us went down to search... one of my other friends found it under a car in the parking lot ...25 feet away from the sidewalk where it made impact ...all it had was one minor scuff on it :D

ALPHA

PS I've seen the quality of the imperial.. in fact I'm using some of an imperial on my L70....believe it or not...the resin and casting on the imperial is far superior to this casting...ask Sassgrunt... because the Stug A is a lend from him ...so he got to see and touch the F
with that said the basic casting "is" as you say not bad...reason I don't think the seller had anything to do with recasting it ...as it takes some skill to do a cast of that size
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

What in the world videos did you try to link to? All I'm seeing is 3 different videos of an ORCHESTRA playing! Well to be perfectly fair the 2nd is a dude with an orchestra playing a harmonica!!!! LOL!!! I'm thinking you tube may be playing a joke on you Alpha. ;)

However your pics you posted provide WAY more help then the guy with the harmonica.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:What in the world videos did you try to link to? All I'm seeing is 3 different videos of an ORCHESTRA playing! Well to be perfectly fair the 2nd is a dude with an orchestra playing a harmonica!!!! LOL!!! I'm thinking you tube may be playing a joke on you Alpha. ;)

However your pics you posted provide WAY more help then the guy with the harmonica.
Music to browse by :haha: Ennio Morricone.. songs from popular spaghetti westerns ..specifically The Good the Bad and the Ugly.. and Once upon a Time in the West :haha:

ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”