Tiger touch-up in Grey

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Saxondog
Captain

Tiger touch-up in Grey

Post by Saxondog »

]I am changing the tools on my Tiger S13,I have removed the molded tools and hatches and will be re-painting just that top hull section.I will be following the same method demonstrated by OZ in the original painting and weathering post.A few guy's have asked me about this method and it seems that only my pictures are still viewable,which is too bad as OZ and Steiners Tigers were camo and very well done.Here's some pictures so far,I removed the hatches and tools with a dremel tool using a grinding stone so their were no deep grooves in the plastic.The hatch rings are Humbrol paint tins which are a perfect fit.Saxondog
Hatches removed
Hatches removed
Another view of tools and hatches removed
Another view of tools and hatches removed
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 003.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 004.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 005.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 008.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 008.JPG
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Tiger touch-up in Grey

Post by Saxondog »

Attempted a new method today using baking soda to create a texture and to hide the grinding marks which bleed through the base coat of Testors model master Schwarzgrau 39-43 grey.Then a coat of Klear floor polish,then more grey.After drying I will add a coat of Matte floor varnish.the texture is ok but difficult to spread to the edges around the head lamps and turret vents.Not to happy with this just yet but will continue to work in the right finish,will try the varnish and see if the color develops,and a light sanding of a few places may be needed. Blake
painting clear coat 001.JPG
painting clear coat 004.JPG
painting clear coat 006.JPG
painting clear coat 011.JPG
Jagdpanther weathering and polish coat 004.JPG
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

Looks interesting,different approach.
Like you said,looks difficult to apply evenly to all areas but I think some crafty weathering will help later.
At least your 1/16 scale guys won't slip on the deck when it's wet!!

Steve.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I'm not really content with this attempt.I intend to try and apply the baking soda in a different way and get a better finish.More to come.Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I've sanded down some of the more obvious spots,and will try the baking soda applied with a sifter.then I should be able to have the even coverage especially around the hatches and lights.then another coat of Schwarzgrau 39-43.If the coverage blends in evenly then the same method of floor polish,a little detailing and the matte coat varnish.I will post more pics soon.Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I was able today to work on the Hatches and the Humbrol paint tins and it worked out very well.I still have some painting to correct and need to mount the paint tins into the hull,might have a clearance issue with the gearbox but I can always cut the tins down to clear leaving the hatch ring in place and still have the effect of opening hatches with the hatch rings as well.Feedback is welcome,I feel this mod is close to realistic hatch rings,but welcome comment.Blake
Humbrol paint tin hatch rings
Humbrol paint tin hatch rings
Cut out for hinge clearance
Cut out for hinge clearance
Hatch fits flush on the rim.
Hatch fits flush on the rim.
view from rear to front,flush fit
view from rear to front,flush fit
close-up of flush fit
close-up of flush fit
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

A quick test fit of the upper hull,the drivers side no problem,radio/loaders side will need the bosses for the factory on/off switch(asiatam hull) will have to be altered,other wise they fit and clear the 3:1 gearbox frames no problem. Blake
Radio/loaders side
Radio/loaders side
drivers side perfect fit
drivers side perfect fit
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

After much work with several methods including baking soda,black,grey and white pastels,some pencil lead etching, Schwarzgrau 39-42 testers enamels,light grey,Johnson's floor polish,and Ronseal Mattcoat clear varnish and a lot of patience the finish finally came out with the texture and coloring I was hoping for,the grinding marks from the tools and removing the old hatches seem to of faded in enough,the texture seems evenly applied and the Schwarzgrau Gray is maybe one shade dark. I feel it brings out the detail more than the entire top hull being the same shade,the lighter engine compartment hatch and the details on the hatch like hinges and the dome on the hatch seem more defined as does the grills.I am pleased this has finally come together,I have yet to paint the metal hatches but will do so tomorrow. I welcome comment.Thanks Blake
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 001.JPG
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 002.JPG
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 003.JPG
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 004.JPG
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 005.JPG
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 006.JPG
Tiger S13 Repaint upper hull new Hatches 007.JPG
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I intend to one day finish my Tiger S13 it still needs the new intake hoses I have and the air intake system needs painted. The smoke/grenade launchers need some work. I have not installed the new tools and hull equipment. The turret has been disasimbled and the Creeping Death gun removed and trash canned. I intend to build a pneumatic gun system design like the one in my King Tiger(Henschel) turret. Well just an update,still my first tank and my favorite. Sax

Return to “Painting and Weathering”