Late Tiger 1 build 1/6 Armortek

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Late Tiger 1 build 1/6 Armortek

Post by Johnf »

Hi Raven,
Certainly is big. As for cost, my hobby budget is blown away for quite a while. Although I was selling painted figures on the net for quite a while and making quite a bit to fund hobbies. I have an army painted which if sold could probably fund another 1/6 tank. My next problem is where to build the next stage. Cannot build upstairs as I will never be able to move it down. Too cold still to move out to the shed. Believe it not the batteries for the tank weigh 24 kilos. They run on two 12 volt golf buggy batteries linked in series to make 24 volt. I have 4 to install so I will always have a backup if the others run out before getting back to the car.

This is the crew so far standing by the drive motors. Supposed to be able to pull 7 tonsubject to getting enough traction although I have seen them manage a 2 ton 4x4.

Looking for a fifth crew member.

I will probably build it as one of Wittmanns normandy tanks or one from his unit. Not 007 though. Any suggestions or pictures welcome. What no. was the Villiers bocage tank?
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I have decided to do some work on the hull.
I am now happy with the fit and can start assembly. I have coated with etch primer.
I have decided to countersink the fasteners on the hull bottom plate rather that use the supplies hex head bolts.
I have added some rebates prior to assembly to assist with application of weld lines.

All now fitted together nicely.

I can wear this while driving.

I have now started to add texture. 1st phase.

[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looking good, how are you texturing the hull , drill, scrapes and mr surfacer 500 ?
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Exactly my intentions. Will add a few deeper scrapes. Then sponge on some mr surfacer and sand down. By the time I finnish this part I will probably use the gun in the picture. I wanded to add the texture before the weld lines.

Threw together a work table and will install a motorcycle jack also. My back is not up to working on the floor.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I have started work on weld lines on the hull and also some rolled steel texturing.

Now have a full crew in uniform.

I have been working on some small parts also. I have replaced the handles on the supplied shovel and hammer and have started to assemble some tool clamps from Armorpax.

I have added the lettering to my exhaust shields.

Some of the parts from Steve Winstone. Miniature works of art.

Bosch Headlight

Starter plate and handles.

Jack Block

20 ton Jack and brackets

I have also done some work on the wheels. Starting with the Sprockets and idlers.

I have added some factory lettering to the Sprocket wheels. All fasteners used on the sprockets are from the kit.

Johnf

Post by Johnf »

If there are any scratch builders out there o will have some Armortek 1/6 parts available soon as I am using quite a few aftermarket upgrades. Hatches, tow cables,fire extinguisher,
lamp,many other items. I will put them on the for sale section soon.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looking sweet mate, adding the cast numbers make a big difference , love it
cliff
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Hi Cliff,
Got supply of small nots and bolts. Got some on ebay but quantities were small and mad expensive. Then found microfasteners.com in the USA They sell by the hundred at good price and shipping not bad. 7 dollars for large order. If you are short of some for your Panzer IV let me know.
Got PLASTIC numbers in various sizes but 5mm seems to be the one to use for most. I'm going to a wedding in May in Belgrade. Just found out they have a museum with a nice panzer IV and II. I will try to get lots of photos there. If I had known about it I would have stayed longer. Women never think of the important attractions when they are trying to persuade you to go somewhere.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

bet you cant wait to go to the wedding ,lol,
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I was given my orders. First we will go meet --- then we will --- then we will---
My reply was I don't give a s--- about the rest. I'm going to look at the tanks. Wedding venue is a few hundred yards from yhe tank site. I suggested they move the wedding.

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Larger Scale Military”