Torro King Tiger Professional Metal Edition

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
madmonk25
Private

Torro King Tiger Professional Metal Edition

Post by madmonk25 »

hi has anyone got one are they any good. or will taigen do one that maybe a bit cheaper ? or is there a better one out there. looking for mainly a metal one. but do like the look of the torro one. :thumbup: and all so what kind of gears do they come with as standed please. are they just soft metal gears.just trying to think a head before buying
taigen tiger 1 full metal up grade
mustclime
Sergeant

Re: Torro King Tiger Professional Metal Edition

Post by mustclime »

Let me first state that I have never seen the torro king tiger in the "flesh" so to speak.....but I have looked at them and imo, the tamiya is a better value. The gears/motors/turret drive/recoil look a heck of a lot link the heng long and that would be fine except this beast costs a whole lot more than a heng long. For what they charge you for the PME, I would think they would not sell you a plastic upper hull with zimmerit and a metal turret with no zimmerit. To make the tank look right, you will need to match the zimmerit look on the hull on the turret.....

Are the tamiya king tigers purfect out of the box? No, the hull could be stiffer( there are braces for that) , the wheels could use sealed bearing insted of bushings(there are kits for that), are the track tensioners great....no, but again there are kits for that also. So whats so good about the tamiya king tiger? The electronics are much better, the motors are stronger, the recoil is better and the sound is much, much better.....

bottom line imo , I have yet to see someone say yea I got the tamiya when I should have gotten "..............".

good luck with what ever you get.
madmonk25
Private

Post by madmonk25 »

do not get me wrong i would love to have a tamiya king tiger.but they cost a bomb and all that plastic puts me off for the money you would expect a metal tank.i know with some kits you can buy a zimmerit kit for the turret but not sure if you can for the torro king tiger. like most things that i read on here you can modify .the 90% of mostly metal appeals to me with the torro and the rest that is not that great i can improve on . that the idea anyway. can you use the best bits of the tamilya and put it in the torro ? like the sound unit /electronics /motors / recoil.
superguybrett
Private

Post by superguybrett »

I own one, and a friend who has tamiya king tiger said he was amazed by the quality and finish of them, even rated it easy on par with tamiya.
Gearboxes are metal then only thing plastic on it, is the bodycover itself rest is 100% metal, i didnt get tamiya coz of price vs amount of plastic.
Steve at welshdragonmodels said have kits for zimmerite, just may need little trimming.
And as for internals, dont use tamiya, i would get el-mod internals they are among the best to get.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9663 here's link to good one in show off section.
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Interesting, 470 pounds and you have to go with elmod and buy a zimmerit kit for the turret.....sounds like they are about the same price to me. Don't forget to work in the price for a transmitter and receiver for both in the price.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/torr ... 1678-p.asp
Inflatable
Private

Post by Inflatable »

I'll leave a real comparison with Tamiya out of it.. Tamiya is mainly plastic and perfect for builders and modelers, only in IR version.. The Torro tank is a good RTR tank with most metal upgrades available installed with a choice of IR or airsoft version.. Superior Elmod electronics can go in both.. Tamiya will still be more expensive if you include all the same upgrades.. In the end it depends on what you want..

I have the Torro metal King Tiger aswell, still with standard RX18 electronics, but with upgraded steel gearbox, much better Visaton speaker, proportional smokemodule and I have a Beier USM-HL soundmodule in it.. Very good tank with best metal running gear for indoor and outdoor and with awesome (custom) sound.. To make it even better I'm probably gonna replace the RX18+Beier combo for Elmod with 2.4Ghz remote soon.. Mainly to get rid of the crappy 27Mhz remote and I want the best proportional drivecontrol possible.. Then it will be close to perfect for me mechanical and control wise and I can start working on the outside looks.. Ohw, and the wooden crate it comes in is awesome aswell, very handy for transport and a nice display aswell..

The UK prices for the Torro metal King Tiger I've seen are a bit high, try to look abroad.. I got mine from Dominique at http://www.rctank.de in Germany.. He offers a better price then the UK shops and most importantly very good service.. He does reduced upgrade pricing on certain parts (just ask) and preinstalls and tests everything before shipping..
madmonk25
Private

Post by madmonk25 »

i am pretty sure i will end up getting the torro king tiger anyway. as i think the tamalyn is over priced for what it is. time you spend making the upgrades on it will cost even more on top of the price you payed for a tamalyn and i know by my taigen tiger time you got battery packs and upgraded the gears to steel ones. then upgrading to the 2.4 ghz.you have spend £150 on top of what you have paid for the tank its self and with me as the taigen was my first tank a charger too as the one in the box is rubbish . so my taigen as ended up costing me from the starting price of £159.99 to £400 with up grade and bits. with the torro king tiger i will change the gears to steel ones and change it to 2.4ghz as well. then its a top tank then in my book
panzerschreck
Lance Corporal

Post by panzerschreck »

Hi there :wave:

Having owned both the Tamiya KT (now sold) and the Torro Professional Metal Edition, I personally rate the Torro KT version way above my old Tamiya KT in terms of fine detail, general fit and finish, ease of use etc. :thumbup:

Okay, the old Tamiya KT had better sound, but as I now run 1/8 & 1/6 tanks for the most part at shows these days, the 1/16 stuff tends to be used as static table top displays/dioramas, so the sound is not much of an issue for me :shh:

With regards to the hull having zimmerit and not the turret, remember that German tank production ended up with stockpiles of spares from various stages in the production run itself, so it would not be beyond the pale for a KT hull with zimmerit to be fitted with a replacement turret without zimmerit - the German army had more important things than cosmetics to worry about !!!

As I have already put a few posts on this site regarding the Torro KT I will not repeat myself any further, except to say that I really cannot rate these tanks highly enough :thumbup:
Shane Wolfe
Lance Corporal

Post by Shane Wolfe »

I have one, and I love it. With help and advice from here and extra kit from Welshdragon it is looking quite respectable.As the post above states, the difference between a manual in barracks and what goes on in the field is very different. No two vehicles are identical, even in the same Section/Troop/Squadron.
The entire British Empire was built on cups of tea ... and if you think I'm going to war without one, mate, you're mistaken.
FreakyDude
Corporal

Post by FreakyDude »

Shane can you post a pic? I wouldn't mind seeing your handiwork. :clap:
Shane Wolfe wrote:I have one, and I love it. With help and advice from here and extra kit from Welshdragon it is looking quite respectable.As the post above states, the difference between a manual in barracks and what goes on in the field is very different. No two vehicles are identical, even in the same Section/Troop/Squadron.
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill

Return to “General Discussion”