• Advertisement

Re: Not bothering with elmod

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby madbadger » Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 am

after reading up on the current elmod system, i understand that even elmod are not immune to blowing!!! A friend of mine thinks he can repair my RX14 board by replacing the burnt out mosfets, im off to maplins in a mo to go get some more chips. Hes also going to make me a proper heat sink to fit over the chips. He told me that my KT is to heavy and running it on grass put a strain on the RX14 board (thats what blew it i was running in hard on grass) on concrete/carpet/wood he said it should be ok. So im wondering weither to go back to plastic tracks..... but what a waste of £100.....

He suggested i get some 2amp slow blow fuses with holders, and said this may protect the board by blowing the fuse if it get under strain. He looked at the elmod on the net and said the mosfets on there boards look similar to the chips on the RX14 ????

So whats inside the Tamiya DMD units? are they immune to blowing, has anyone had any problems with DMD?

I will have to keep off the grass!!!!!!!!! LOL, i though these electronics would take a bit more stick than this.

have seen these on evilbay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R-C-1-16-1-15-Tan ... .m63.l1177

they don't provide sound though, just wondered what anyone thinks???

Kev

madbadger
Private

Advertisement

Postby tankman » Sat May 02, 2009 8:13 am

Hi Kev I have tried this unit and don't recomend them as they are a pig to set up. Also I killed the ESC side of it somehow. My Father had the same problem as he can't set his up either ( the ESC side ). If you are wanting to go down the  EL MOD ( £ 150 to £200 ) road it looks about as cheap to get a Tamiya DMD unit. OK it's over £100 quid and you need a radio controller but it won't let you down and you can add a MFU after. Well that's my 2p worth hope it helps you a little. All the best for now
Alan

PS have you thought of trying the RX18 board as these are suposed to take a few more amps ( did see somewhere a 6 to 8 amp load was thought to be it's limit ). Although these are not bomb proof either as I have read of pepole frying these but at £19 to £20 each it's an option. 
tankman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby 971wright » Sat May 02, 2009 9:08 am

Hi The unit that you are looking at on ebay ,First it will have no sound ,second it will not connect to the Tamiya unit or anyother unit that can connect to a battle system .The unit you have found is to replace the very early DmD unit which has no sound or other functions,all you can do with it is drive the tank around and maybe fit servos to turn the turret and elevate the barrel.They also are not compatible with all radios and all frequencys.In short they are not that good .

regards pete

971wright
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Rivetcounter » Sat May 02, 2009 9:15 am

I have metal track on my Tiger II in fact I only ran it a few times with plastic tracks I have had this tank for 5 years ran it on all surfaces mainly grass and soil it has 3:1 bear reduction that helps turning the tank in grass it has never let me down, I installed the DMD in a 1/6 Panther for Robert (Dandare) a few years back along with an amp to help the sounds this is running fine non of the tanks have fans to cool things down this has been done to quite a few 1/6 tanks, there is a guy running a 1/6 Stuart on the Tamiya DMD with 12v running the DMD and the tank no separate speed controllers I think he has a fan on this as a precaution but after running that for several years it hasn't let him down, just work out what you have spent on new boards it may have been more economical to buy Tamiya DMD in the first place 

Rivetcounter
Sergeant

Postby nibelungenwerk » Sat May 02, 2009 2:04 pm

My son wore out a Tamiya Tiger II including totalling the gearboxs . He flooded it up to the turret level- left out in the rain overnight and the dmds's still work fine in fact I put them them in a 1/15 bandai panzer IV and they still work ok.

At the time of writing on ebay there is a full option tiger I for £225 and full option sherman for 209.

Why bother getting a cheap heng long and spending a fortune uprating it , pick up a cheap second tamiya and detail that instead.
From the sounds of the problems posted on this forum they seem a lot more reliable.

nibelungenwerk
Private

Postby madbadger » Sat May 02, 2009 3:58 pm

It is a tamiya king tiger, ive fitted impact gearboxes/heavy metal tracks to it. i have the old Futuba radio gear, servos and 6 channel transmitter that came with the King Tiger when i bought it, i swapped it all out for heng long, so all i need is a DMD unit???

can anyone tell me what parts i need to go DMD with sound, part numbers etc, in fact anything that can help me to get my kt up and running would be appreciated.

thanks

Kev
Last edited by madbadger on Sat May 02, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madbadger
Private

Postby 971wright » Sat May 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Kev the Items you need are DMD control (tam 7305064 T03 DMD) price £109.95 from tankzone
                                    multi function unit (tam 7305066 MF01  )    price £109.95 from tankzone
                                                    speaker( tam 9785086)              price 24.95    from tankzone
                  optional Tamiya battle system (tam 53447)                  price £69.95  from tankzone

These are the parts you need to get it full optional the radio you have should work with it you may also need a recoil unit and flash unit it depends on whether they are fitted to your tank now .I think these are the ones you need check before you buy .

regards pete

971wright
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby grim_marmazet » Sat May 02, 2009 5:16 pm

I've always wondered. Do you have to use a Tamiya speaker unit? Or can you plug in your own?

Cheers,
Rik

grim_marmazet

Postby grompix » Sat May 02, 2009 5:32 pm

grim_marmazet wrote:I've always wondered. Do you have to use a Tamiya speaker unit? Or can you plug in your own?

You can use your own speakers with a Tamiya MFU. Even cheap HL speakers work OK and plug in direct.

Cheers
Chris
grompix
Sergeant

Postby grompix » Sat May 02, 2009 5:34 pm

You can use Darkith's DBU instead of Tamiya's own TBU battle system with a Tamiya MFU. They are only $15 in kit form.

http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbc.shtml

Cheers
Chris  ;D
grompix
Sergeant

Postby Rivetcounter » Sat May 02, 2009 5:37 pm

there is also the communication cable that links the DMD and MF unit along with Flash for the MG, Flash for main gun, turret rotation, gun elevation and recoil but by the time you have bought all this you could have bought a second hand Tamiya for around £250 which may come with radio and batteries plus other extras, remove the relevant parts then sell the static tank on evilbay for around £100-150 this means that your DMD will only cost you £100-150 or you could use the Tamiya tank and sell your Heng Long.
Yes you can use a different speaker the Tamiya speakers are just cheep things there are better

Rivetcounter
Sergeant

Postby grim_marmazet » Sat May 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Your very correct Rivetcounter. Infact, with the tiger 1, you'll get more accurate details in general, such as the offset gun, correct turret rotation, etc.

After the masses of cash i've spent on my HL Tiger, I think im just going to scrap and go for a Tamiya.

Rik

grim_marmazet

Postby madbadger » Sat May 02, 2009 7:01 pm

thanks for that 971wright, all i want is motion and sound, not bothered about the rest, still works out at £200 phew!!! better get saving LOL good job the wife dont read this forum......

regards

Kev

madbadger
Private

Postby Rivetcounter » Sat May 02, 2009 9:38 pm

just think if Tamiya DMD's went up in smoke every other month they would have an appalling reputation I would be the first to criticise them I have to admit the turret rotation unit is crap and the gun elevation unit could be better but the rest of the tank is fine, Heng Long is getting better every year but that gun/chassis recoil is absolutely crap and this is one thing that I cant live with I'm very interested in the Stug and Jagdpanther but when you fire the gun and the tank jumps up in the air recoiling then that just puts me right off and I feel the clamp on my wallet without talking with the wife

Rivetcounter
Sergeant

Postby grim_marmazet » Sat May 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Is there a better after-market turret rotation and gun elevation unit out there?

grim_marmazet

Postby YHR » Sun May 03, 2009 1:28 am

Rivetcounter wrote:just think if Tamiya DMD's went up in smoke every other month they would have an appalling reputation I would be the first to criticise them I have to admit the turret rotation unit is crap and the gun elevation unit could be better but the rest of the tank is fine, Heng Long is getting better every year but that gun/chassis recoil is absolutely crap and this is one thing that I cant live with I'm very interested in the Stug and Jagdpanther but when you fire the gun and the tank jumps up in the air recoiling then that just puts me right off and I feel the clamp on my wallet without talking with the wife

A DBC from Darkith gets rid of the recoil, adds momemtum, and gives you a Tamiya compatible battle system all for less the $100.  This very system is what caused me to put the brakes on my El Mod excursions.  As soon as Bill has his sound system for sale I think we will have a real good combination

I do believe that if you are planning on spending a pile of Money upgrading a Heng Long right out of the gate, you probably owe yourself the favor of looking at a Tamiya.  The quality is good.  El Mod has the expandibility and diverse sounds going for it, but an out of the box Tamiay is a pretty nice tank.

YHR
Lance Corporal

Postby NigelDerEnglander » Sun May 03, 2009 7:20 am

Hi folks,

I did an uprated transistor and polyfuse mod to the RX13 on RCPK and hijacked Tiger205s thread a year or so ago:

http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=15215&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

I've not blown these yet. Of course the polyfuse prevents fatal overloads before one blows.

Sorry I won't be able to offer any extra on this for a few days as I'm heading to Snowdonia for a few days walking.

NigelDerEnglander
Lance Corporal

Postby Rivetcounter » Sun May 03, 2009 8:38 am

YHR, thanks for that would you tell me a little more about the BDC this may put a Heng Long back on the table have you got any links youtube footage would be nice

Rivetcounter
Sergeant

Postby YHR » Sun May 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Rivetcounter wrote:YHR, thanks for that would you tell me a little more about the BDC this may put a Heng Long back on the table have you got any links youtube footage would be nice

Here is link to Darkiths home page.  IF you buy the DBC2RC, then you can use your own radio.  This system also triggers three differnet battle sounds as well as a gun flash.  With the DBC you have the ability to turn off features, when you turn on the tank, before you hit the start button.  Joystick movements can turn off the heng long jerk, stop the unrealistic superspin, as well as the ability to turn on the momentum.  All this without having to open up the tank and move dip switches or Junction bridges.

http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbc.shtml

Here is a DBC Panther firing on a  DBC equipped PZIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ9NlKEQv4o
Last edited by YHR on Sun May 03, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YHR
Lance Corporal

Postby YHR » Sun May 03, 2009 2:40 pm

grim_marmazet wrote:Is there a better after-market turret rotation and gun elevation unit out there?

Using about a 22 ohm resistor on the wiring to the heng long rotation motor will slow it down.  Get a high power resistor though so it will pass enough current to allow the motor to start.

Here is my Sherman with this mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TbEzjxps5I
Last edited by YHR on Sun May 03, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YHR
Lance Corporal

Next

Return to General Discussion