FIRE!

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jackalope
Lieutenant

FIRE!

Post by jackalope »

Wanted to start a new thread and not hijack someone else's but I gotta know, how many of you have had a lipo battery catch fire while charging it? Mine don't even get warm let alone hot. So I charge mine inside my KT. The guys at the hobby shop I get my stuff from told me that none of them have ever seen a lip battery go up while being charged. They figured between all of them that's no lip catching fire in about 145 years.

So is the whole fire thing like the little boy who cried wolf?
jarndice
Colonel

Re: FIRE!

Post by jarndice »

Perhaps you could talk to the relatives of the flight crew of a Boeing 727 that crashed in the Florida Everglades, The FAA accident investigation's conclusion was that a fire in the hold started in the immediate location of a load containing LI-PO batteries, this fire burnt through all the control cables and resulted in an unsurvivable crash. It was believed that while the aircraft was being loaded the LI-PO's were "roughly handled" and this treatment could be the reason for the spontaneous combustion of the freight. It was recommended that under usual air freight flights, LI-PO'S not be carried. :thumbdown: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

I've never had a problem with my lipo's. I don't buy cheap lipo's, I use a smart charger that won't start a charge cycle if I have given it incorrect input, I use a lipo charging bag, I try to plan my lipo charging while I am doing other projects so I can be in the same room while charging, and I use lipo alarms.
Joe
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Jarndice, and I've used diesel fuel and fertilizer for YEARS even had them stored in my garage and I've never had an explosion from them either. Mishandling by someone that leads to a fire isn't quite the same thing as do lipo's regularly catch fire during charging. Where it certainly is a tragedy its clearly not the same thing as I was asking, sorry if that makes me sound like an ass I hope I didn't come off that way. :{
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Kaiser, WOW that should be titled everything you want to know about lipos! Thats A LOT of info there.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Jtracks, I use the Traxxas set up for lipos which is damn near bomb proof! There is no balance plug it is built into the main plug. It uses a smart charger/maintainer/dis-charger that does everything automaticly all I do is plug it in and push the button of what I want the charger to do and it does it. The battery is a 2 cell in a hard plastic case and I've never felt it get so much as warm let alone hot.

IDK maybe this is why I'm asking because with the setup I'm using I honestly don't get it with the whole bursting into flames thing, which is why I asked. If you don't ask questions you never learn anything and I'm trying to find out about these things catching fire without needing to use a fire extinguisher myself.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Kiaser wrote:Yes I hope you liked it its lipo 101 . :D :thumbup: dido pallet loads of nitrate .

I must say you guys in the USA are having a lot of bad luck with crude oil transported by loco goodness me makes the A bomb tiny . :D

Jarndice has me hooked on air crash investigation unspent oxygen generators in the cargo hold :( :( :(
What's next . :D

Kiaser, I drive those trains! :haha: Yup a pipeline on wheels is what we call them and yes when they come off the rails things go HORRIBLY wrong real fast.
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

jackalope wrote:Jtracks, I use the Traxxas set up for lipos which is damn near bomb proof! There is no balance plug it is built into the main plug. It uses a smart charger/maintainer/dis-charger that does everything automaticly all I do is plug it in and push the button of what I want the charger to do and it does it. The battery is a 2 cell in a hard plastic case and I've never felt it get so much as warm let alone hot.

IDK maybe this is why I'm asking because with the setup I'm using I honestly don't get it with the whole bursting into flames thing, which is why I asked. If you don't ask questions you never learn anything and I'm trying to find out about these things catching fire without needing to use a fire extinguisher myself.
Hi Jackalope, I was just letting everyone know what I do. I've seen the new Traxxas batteries with their new plug. I won't use them due to the fact that they don't have a balance plug and I can't use a lipo alarm, or check individual cell status while in the field. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but having seen most everything during my 26 years as a firefighter, I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF. LOL
Joe
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

The balance plug is built into the main plug, it does indeed have one but it's not a separate plug. The charger balances the batteries every time I charge them. As to the alarm they are designed to be used in vehicles that are meant to be used with lipos meaning they have lipo battery protection built in. I'm running an IBU2 set up.which has built in lipo protection. But yes the Traxxas st up is not meant to be used in a vehicle without built in protection.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Am I coming off as being argumentative? If so I sincerely apologize as that us not my intent. :{

I plan to never charge the lipo in my tank again just to be clear.

Return to “General Discussion”