Use of arcylics and oils - am i missing something?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
macman
Private

Use of arcylics and oils - am i missing something?

Post by macman »

Had a look and can't see a discussion on this.

Can anyone tell me why many people paint their tanks in acrylics and then use oil paints for the weathering? I've always used Tamiya paints, painting all my tanks by brush( never used an airbrush in my life). When it comes to weathering I've used washes created from my Tamiya paints, black, brown, grey etc. In many threads and on youtube people talk about using oils for washes, pin washes and streaking, why is this? what advantage does it have over an acrylic wash? Should I be off down the shops to buy myself some oils paints? :think:

Get the feeling I'm missing something obvious here but looking forward to the replies
Axis -H/L Panzer III, H/L Panzer IV, H/L Stug III, H/L Stug III (Schurzen), H/L Panther, H/L Tiger 1(early and late) and a H/L King Tiger(Porsche)
Allies - WSN T-34/85, H/L KV-1, H/L Sherman and a scratch Cromwell(in progress)
(all 1/16th scale)
mike1268
Corporal

Re: Use of arcylics and oils - am i missing something?

Post by mike1268 »

I'm in the same boat. Only used acrylic and acrylic based wash's. Going to try my hand are airbrush work though but I'm using acrylics again.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Basically what iposter says, oils are way better for creating effects, especially filters or weathering, streaks and rust etc. I tend to use enamels for some stuff as well like filters. The good thing about oils is they can be worked with for a long time, creating very fine and subtle effects but the downside is they can take days to dry.
tankmad

Post by tankmad »

The other reason for using acrylics for paint and oils for weathering is it won't affect the paint you have just done if you use the same paint you can lift the original paint off.
Stevie
macman
Private

Post by macman »

That was quick thanks. Ok so I missed the fairly obvious! I like the idea of the more translucent finish. Off to the Range to get some oil paints and have a play.

I use budget vodka to dilute my acrylics, can you do the same with oils?
Axis -H/L Panzer III, H/L Panzer IV, H/L Stug III, H/L Stug III (Schurzen), H/L Panther, H/L Tiger 1(early and late) and a H/L King Tiger(Porsche)
Allies - WSN T-34/85, H/L KV-1, H/L Sherman and a scratch Cromwell(in progress)
(all 1/16th scale)
tankmad

Post by tankmad »

macman wrote:That was quick thanks. Ok so I missed the fairly obvious! I like the idea of the more translucent finish. Off to the Range to get some oil paints and have a play.

I use budget vodka to dilute my acrylics, can you do the same with oils?
Are you trying to start WWIII use screen wash to dilute acrylic paint I know its blue but you don't notice it unless you are using white then you can use the cheap vodka that's what I do ;)
Stevie
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

In the same boat. I just got into tanks and doing this kind of weathering but I just use acrylic paints and so far so good. I also just bought an airbrush set and compressor to paint with. I've done my washes with thinned down grimy black, 3 different shades of brown and a little gray and so far I like the results very much. I tried weathering with the airbrush and it's good for simulating dust and kicked up dirt but not so much for washes or rust or streaks I've found a paint brush still the best for that type stuff.
billpe

Post by billpe »

So with oil dot fading it helps if you have a flat wide type brush and very tiny specs of oil paint on the model, put some turps on the brush, wipe almost all of it off then draw the brush down the surface. It's very important to always go in the same direction and try not to have one dot directly above another. The idea is you can barely see the streaks, let it try and take another look. It's also easy to use way to much oil paint, very little is needed, not much more than a large pin heads worth.

I've done it here: download/file.php?id=40935&mode=view
You can just make out some of the darker lines but the green and yellow I used to fade the paint you can hardly see but that washed out, sort of sun bleached look is from oils over Tamiya paint. I've also used it on the wheels a little but the colours are darker mixes.
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

Great effects billpe might give it a go.
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

That's about the same effects I get using acrylics Bill, looks really good BTW.

Return to “General Discussion”