tiger tank noob help

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
ironcross13
Recruit

tiger tank noob help

Post by ironcross13 »

hi guys just come off ebay looking at tiger tanks i love that tank
i really want to get a RC metal one but im a noob to RC tanks
i no my history and love it i allso collect German ww2 me militaria hence the name ironcross lol

well i figerd im not going to be able to buy a real tiger tank any time soon so one of these will have to do
can you give me any direction to go with these tanks what is the top tanks to look at
im in the uk and look up everything before i buy lol
jarndice
Colonel

Re: tiger tank noob help

Post by jarndice »

Hallo, How long is a piece of string? First if you have not yet done so you absolutely MUST scroll down to the BLACKLIST and please avoid all the names on that list then go to the recommended dealers list, we buy from these good people and some of these people are members of the Forum.As to the Tiger 1 the makers most used are HENG LONG, who pretty much introduced most of us to the hobby because while the quality and accuracy was wanting we could afford them, because they needed so much work people of like minds got together to share their knowledge and so places like this were formed, BUT-BUT HENG LONG now build a Tank that is as good as any out there with the exception of TAMIYA and HENG LONGs electrics are in the opinion of some better than anyone else's, Then there is TORRO and TAIGEN, both of these makers produce Tanks with a greater amount of metal in them, I favour the TAIGEN TIGER 1 HULL which is a combination of metal and ABS, many but not all the upgrades for the HENG LONG will fit these two other makers Tanks, WALTERSONS BRASS GEARBOXES for the HENG LONG TIGER will not fit the TAIGEN TIGER 1 for instance, but the recently improved HENG LONG TIGER 1 BODY fits perfectly and will save you hours of scraping off the moulded on tools on the TAIGEN body, To get the best many of us fit upgraded control boards some of which are simply a case of swapping the plugs in the factory fitted board into the sockets of the replacement board, you will if you go in this direction need a new transmitter and reciever (MORE EXPENCE) The most popular control boards in the UK are CLARK and IBU2 and IBU2 PRO, the King of the Makers is TAMIYA and they started the whole madness but they are different in a number of ways, they have to be built from a box of bits, they are expensive and there is a totally different electronic system used to run them, BUT they are truly BRILLIANT and the holy grail for most of us. I am sure I have confused you but plenty of other members of the Forum will help you. :wave: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Hey, what is your budget and modelling experience? Which tank did you want? Do you want to build one or get one ready to run? If you're after a Tiger the Tamiya is the best one around but it's a kit and needs a radio and metal tracks is an additional cost. If you want one ready to run the Taigan is probably the best option.

I'd be wary for getting bitten by the more metal the better. It's good for moving parts, tracks, gearboxes, sprockets and idlers but not much else unless you're doing photo etching detaling. There is an all metal tiger 1 by Mato but it's deeply flawed so owning an angle grinder is a good plan!
mick e
Recruit

Post by mick e »

Hi Ironcross13, I recently bought a metal Torro Tiger and think it's great, not had any problems with it at all. Never had any other RC tanks so can't compare it.
Torro Metal Tiger.
ironcross13
Recruit

Post by ironcross13 »

wow thanks for the help guys lots of good info
i seen this tiger on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taigen-Tiger- ... 7675.l2557
how much would this cost me to build my self is it hard to get the parts for it and fit them
i also what a realistic paint job did they use the green como?
are they really hard to paint?
seen this i take it this is the best?
https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/produc ... ll-option/

whats the diffrence between the two?
seen this also http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-tank/1-16- ... 24ghz.html
Last edited by ironcross13 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross13
Recruit

Post by ironcross13 »

billpe wrote:Hey, what is your budget and modelling experience? Which tank did you want? Do you want to build one or get one ready to run? If you're after a Tiger the Tamiya is the best one around but it's a kit and needs a radio and metal tracks is an additional cost. If you want one ready to run the Taigan is probably the best option.

I'd be wary for getting bitten by the more metal the better. It's good for moving parts, tracks, gearboxes, sprockets and idlers but not much else unless you're doing photo etching detaling. There is an all metal tiger 1 by Mato but it's deeply flawed so owning an angle grinder is a good plan!
none really ive used to have LORT warhammer im good with computers
yeh going off the full metal idear just want it to look as real as possible
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

The early one on nitrotek is one I'm looking at looks great to me but I'm a noobie like you.
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Ironcross Hi, the seller of the TAIGEN TIGER 1 is Dave Forgebear a member of this Forum and probably the most trusted dealer in our hobby, The first thing you do is buy the Tank from him the second thing you do is talk to him and he will answer all your questions and thirdly look through his site after you get the Tiger and search for those bits and pieces you need,IF the TIGER 1 has gone then E-MAIL DAVE at
theallertons@fsmail.net
and he will almost certainly have similar in stock, whatever you do if you can buy from him then do so.
As to painting, if you scroll down the menu you will get to the relevent page where you will get a lot of worth while help BUT one of the many hero's on this Forum will give you even greater help, name of ALPHA, I should warn you though he is an AMERICAN Gentleman with all the good points that citizens of that fine country possess, unfortunately I sometimes wonder if that is enough! :haha: :haha: :haha: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
billpe

Post by billpe »

ironcross13 wrote:
billpe wrote:Hey, what is your budget and modelling experience? Which tank did you want? Do you want to build one or get one ready to run? If you're after a Tiger the Tamiya is the best one around but it's a kit and needs a radio and metal tracks is an additional cost. If you want one ready to run the Taigan is probably the best option.

none really ive used to have LORT warhammer im good with computers
yeh going off the full metal idear just want it to look as real as possible
Once that paint is on the metal doesn't really come through other than the PE parts which are small details you'd need to get for any tank.

In reference to your questions: The Taigan isn't self build, it comes as a complete pack. All you'd need to do is paint it. Heng Long and Torro are the same. The Tamiya is the only one you need to build.

In reference to your question on paint, it depends on the unit and time it was built and in use. Typically most were a type of yellow called Dunkelgelb (the first few were grey but later repainted) then depending on the unit an olive green and/or a red brown was used. It depends on how real you want it, either an approximation of a Tiger or one representing a real tank. The first one is easy, find a picture, copy it. The 2nd one takes some research but there's plenty of resources to use to if you want it to represent a real tank. Depends on what you're happy with.
ironcross13
Recruit

Post by ironcross13 »

yeh spoke to Dave on ebay hes a nice guy give me lots of info and his number to get in touch
yes im staying away from full metal tank
looking at building the Tamiya i like buliding stuff and did do a bit of painting with my warhammer stuff im 25 lol
is it hard to bulid dose it come with instructions?
how much better is the tymiya than the taigan? is it worth the extra money as there £570 are they upgraded to the max? do they fier BBs?
i will look up painting it once i get it like the grey snow type russain front type

Return to “General Discussion”