Tamiya or Torro King tiger?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
kwiky
Private

Tamiya or Torro King tiger?

Post by kwiky »

Hi everyone. I'm after a little advice. I currently own a Tamiya Jagdpanther which I love, I'm looking to add a production turret KT to to my collection to use with my son as a sort of father son bonding thing. I was all set on the Tamiya because of how much I like the JP but having seen the thread on here showing the unboxing of a Torro king tiger, and then reading up on the features such as the 360 degree turret control and opening hatches I'm wondering if, since the prices are similar, the Torrois a match for the tamiya in control, quality and overall value.

So I have a budget of around £500 I want the best performing KT I can get (I'm less bothered about rivet counting accuracy) where should my money go?

Thanks in advance

Phil.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tamiya or Torro King tiger?

Post by Dietrich »

The Tamiya is a 'kit' model that you have to assemble...I think that it only has a metal tub for the hull...
The Torro is a 'completed' model.... it has a full metal option where the tank is 80 % metal with a metal hull, turret, tracks etc ..so you can use it straight out of the wooden ammo crate once you have charged the batteries...
I think that it depends upon the age and ability of your son.... if he has the patience to assemble the whole thing then the Tamiya kit will be fun...but its quite a long haul...
If you want a model that you can use straight way and then later 'improve' on with additions or to repaint then Torro will be the way to go ...
The Tamiya kit will need a radio control unit, receiver, sound unit ( smoker ) to be ADDED onto the price ..so you have to budget extra for that or be prepared to RC it later when you have the extra money.
The Torro will arrive with all that in the box / wooden crate...
Personally ,the full metal Torro KT that I had was a match for my very early Tamiya in quality....( but it was a slightly tired early one)......
Simply because I lack patience these days I would favour the Torro
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

The tamiya is proprietary, don't most of the torro parts interchange with taigen/heng long?
Tankie
Lance Corporal

Post by Tankie »

Personally id go for a good secondhand finished tamiya. Much better electronics with real sound and robust where it counts. They often come with transmitter and receiver well within your budget. By making the tank heavier and thereby straining the running gear and electronics the torro metal doesn't practically add to the experience. Any decent cosmetic add ons fit the tamiya.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I'd definitely go for Tamiya, you don't need to upgrade the electronics, they're well engineered and detailed.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

For the Tamiya King Tiger you'll also need to replace the idler mounts which is about £20. The build is pretty easy, probably the easiest Tamiya and the electronics package is much better. Metal tracks are an extra cost as well but apart from those metal on tanks - apart from gearboxes - is largely an overrated expense.

The problem with the Torro KT is that it's got hard molded zimmerit on the body and none on the turret. If that doesn't bother you then no problem. It's still very expensive for the price. You can get a Tamiya King Tiger and the RX and TX for less if you shop around and look in places like Singapore and Hong Kong.

It depends, do you want to build and paint it with your son or just get something out of the box to run around?
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

If you are prepared to go second hand Tamiya...
Uk ebay lists this one.. its an early one with the single centrally mounted motor.. and its listed as collection only .... but if interested ask the seller if they will post it to you..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KING-TIGER-/1 ... 1c4cb93d5f
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
Horses45
Corporal

Post by Horses45 »

Hi Phil I have both Tamiya and torro , but you will find that most people will have an opinion on which one and you will find that some people like tamiya and others torro.i have both and to be honest they are both good but my vote goes to the torro KTs. But again it comes down to what you want to do. As pointed out tamiya you build up from kit but I was lucky and bought a second hand one which was already built but I still like the torro for build and they seem to feel better but again down to personal choice.
Torro King Tiger , Torro KV-2 , Torro M-16 half track , 2xTaigen Tigers
HL King Tiger , HL KV-1 , HL Tiger , HL Bulldog , HL Pershing , HL Sherman
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I vote with Horses...he has both and is totally unbiased....because if you really wanted my opinion...I'd get the Heng Long :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously...if you like a lot of metal...+smoke..without added cost .....Definitely the Torro :thumbup:

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Dietrich wrote:If you are prepared to go second hand Tamiya...
Uk ebay lists this one.. its an early one with the single centrally mounted motor.. and its listed as collection only .... but if interested ask the seller if they will post it to you..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KING-TIGER-/1 ... 1c4cb93d5f
I really wouldn't buy that. For the buy now price you can buy a brand new 2nd generation Tamiya King Tiger.

Return to “General Discussion”