casting numbers on TIGER 1

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
thomasthetank
Recruit

casting numbers on TIGER 1

Post by thomasthetank »

I want to add casting numbers to my 1/16 tiger 1 (tamiya 332) and wondered if anyone can advise on the placement and correct numbers for this tank. In this scale I think they are essential.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: casting numbers on TIGER 1

Post by billpe »

You'll be needing this site: http://www.tiif.de/ Use Google Chrome with auto translate on and it's easy enough to navigate. Short of buying the relevant Panzer tracts books, it's one of the best resources for Tigers going.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

If you are looking for 'English' Tiger sites... A member on here David Byrden is one of the leading experts on the Panzer VI...and below that is a list of alternative sites from Alan Hamblys excellent web page

http://tiger1.info/vehicle.html
http://www.alanhamby.com/tigerlinks.shtml
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
thomasthetank
Recruit

Post by thomasthetank »

Thanks for the info guys.... I am now considering building the TAMIYA TIGER1 with a fictitious number so that it is a general representation of this early mark. I have discovered so many conflicting views over the correct colours for 332 and the likelihood of inaccuracies in representing this particular tank that I believe the best way is a general representation..... I am taking the cowards way out!... but appreciate your help re the casting numbers which also vary so much with each tank so will go the same way...... : :O
billpe

Post by billpe »

What battalion was it in? It's fairly easy to verify the tanks general history by looking at it's heavy tank battalion or specific company history. It's possible to find out when it was delivered and thus what colour it was delivered in and also if the battalion or company repainted at any time and what it was repainted too. Conflicting views generally stem from people trying to interpret 70 year old black and white photographs, which tell you nothing but contrast.

Bare in mind that 332 is the tactical number i.e. 3rd company, 3rd platoon, 2nd tank. So you'd have many tanks with the 332 tactical number (any SS or heer heavy tank battalion with 3 companies!) and it's also highly possible 332 was used by several tanks just on one company as ones were knocked out and replaced. For instance I did 221 from 502ABT. 3 different tanks in 2 years wore that tactical number in that unit alone.
thomasthetank
Recruit

Post by thomasthetank »

Hi... 332 was part of 503 ABT.... and a number of photos are available of this ABT and particular tanks. As I mentioned... it seems if you folloW the TAMIYA colour scheme you could be wrong....... or the Decals are incorrect in colour.. ect.... I have difficulty in trying to find casting numbers for this particular tank... so it seems the best option is portraying a tank representative of this period...? appreciate your help...
billpe

Post by billpe »

The tamiya advised scheme is right for a given period for that tank. The tank was probably grey when it left the factory but the entire battalion repainted in the spring of 1943 using dark yellow and green and also changed its tactical numbering system.

You have to remember at least 2 different Tiger 1s used that tactical number in 503 and at least 2 tiger 2s also were numbered 332. 503 also had the tactical numbers painted differently for each company which was fairly common. I think the only photo of 332 from 503 available is the Tiger 2 with a Porsche turret which was lost mid 1944 and replaced in the autumn with another Tiger 2.

The casting numbers as far as I know would not be tied to the tactical numbers. There was no way of knowing a given part or even tank would go to a certain unit.
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

There are plenty of photos of the Tiger 1 numbered "332" from s.Pz.Abt.503 that was used in the summer of 1943.
There may have been another Tiger in the unit with that number the following winter, but we don't have photos of it.

Alas, there is no known source of casting numbers for the parts of a Tiger. We can only look at a couple of surviving Tigers to get a broad idea of what was possible.

David
billpe

Post by billpe »

I stand corrected. I found one at least, the colour is uncertain but it looks like it has some mountings for something attached to the right side of the hull and has a balkenkruz both on the hull and turret.
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

Have you not seen this website?

http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid= ... ca4ce6e427

That page lists 34 verified photos of Tiger 332. But they are shown in small size only.

David

Return to “General Discussion”