Just bought a faulty Heng Long Tiger

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Just bought a faulty Heng Long Tiger

Post by AlwynTurner »

I have been gathering the courage to buy a first tank (and trying to squirrel the money away so the wife doesn't notice) when I spotted this and bought it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Rc-heng ... true&rt=nc

The seller says the problem is:
'I can only get to move forward and reverse, not turning and smoke generator not working, hence selling spares/ repairs.'

I wondered if anyone had come across these problems before and knew of an easy fix or can advise which components I might have to replace? If it isn't an easy problem I can bring to the December Hyde meeting and maybe someone can take a look?

As my first adventure into tanks I'm hoping I haven't bought a lemon and wasted my money.
Regards
Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Merlin707
Corporal

Re: Just bought a faulty Heng Long Tiger

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi Alwyn,

I had a very similar problem with my recently purchased Heng Long Sherman.

My problem turned out to be a faulty RX18 board, faulty wiring and faulty motor.

Unfortunately looks like you may need a complete new set of electrics and maybe even mechanicals too.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Merlin, if that is the case then it's not a train smash as a new RX18 board is only £18 with new cables, still a long way from the new price of the tank. Replacement motors look like another £10 so now starting to add up. Not sure if it is the motors though as the seller says the tank will go backwards and forwards.

Ho Hum, I'll just have to wait until it arrives. Thanks anyway for the pointer, much appreciated.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

If it moves forward and backward then the motors work, if they didn't it wouldn't move! :haha: If the board is only 18 go ahead and order it now that way you'll have it and the tank very close to the same day.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Jackalope, echoes my thinking as I would just be frustrated as hell if I got the tank and then had to order the part and wait for delivery, it may be down to loose wires but I think I prefer a new set of wiring and a new unit anyway, in the end it only cost me £14.50 including postage.
Thanks again to all for the advice. Alwyn

MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Alwyn,

That's a great buy for your first tank even given the condition. You should have no problem finding whatever parts you need for cheap to get it going. Smoker sometimes could just be flooded or dry out. I think the biggest issue with this buy is the decals........ :-)

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

That's a super Deal Alwin :thumbup: disconnect your smoker and make a jumper wire...get your battery and hook one lead to one of the resistors... then touch the other resistor with the other lead...let it run for about a minute... the guy could have put too much smoke fluid in it...hooking it direct will allow the element to get more juice... if the element is good it will smoke... if not the unit is dead ....if it smokes...then take out the four screws on the filler lid...lift out carefull...get a paper towel and soak up any fluid and residual on the wick .....as Jarndice said...it goes forward and back.... so the motors are good...you might want to look into a TX as well as the problem could be there as well...You'll find that out after installing the new RX

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Did you try the gun out yet? sounds like the guy didn't know how to load or push the Tx stick up to fire it :haha:

ALPHA
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by tankmad »

There are loads of spares for this tank amoung the members find out first what you need welcome to the world of tanking.
Stevie
http://www.tankworld.co.uk
This is not an obsession I can give it up anytime
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, I have now received the tank, and all is not completely as described, methinks someone was lying by omission!. Anyway when I opened up my new acquisition I found that the smoke generator was not connected, so that indicates either that it was faulty and was disconnected deliberately, or else it just came off when someone was broddling around.

The next discovery was that the gears appear to be stripped, just the one on the driving wheel, but on both tracks, so it looks like a new gearbox? What is the best and cheapest solution here, does anyone have a set of gears to sell, or know of a good supplier?

This may not be the end of the tale of woe as I haven't even tried the tank as the battery is still charging.

By the look of it this tank has either been well used or not treated well, not sure which but suspect the latter.

Methinks this great buy may not be so great after all!

Cheers
Alwyn

Return to “General Discussion”