Only with an airbrush

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
ALPHA
Major-General

Only with an airbrush

Post by ALPHA »

Can you mess something up this bad :haha:

Felt I needed more practice.... especially in the fine line department...So I took in hand my Hollywood Bastart T34 mock up
and set to work.... at first my paint mix was a tad on the thick side... as you can see there is some spitting..but once I got the mix down...as you can see
I went to town :haha:
White is a difficult color ...it doesn't really cover well...and it's difficult to see the paint that's being applied... so lighting is very important
this is the final result

the highlight is very subtle .... but that's what the target was :D

Happy Tanking GentsImage

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Only with an airbrush

Post by ALPHA »

More Pictures

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

TWO EXTRA LOL

Yup need more practice....think I'll do a figure lol

HAPPY TANKING GENTS Image

ALPHA
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

looks frosty, like it has come straight from a harsh winter on the eastern front , i like it :thumbup:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

alphatiger88 wrote:looks frosty, like it has come straight from a harsh winter on the eastern front , i like it :thumbup:
Thanks 88... didn't really make this thread to show off the tank lol....it's really a just for fun build ...as at the time I couldn't get a T34 ;)

What this thread is here for ...and reason it is in the General Discussion area is to show a little bit of airbrushing technique...I call this reverse highlighting
on most colors ...the airbrush can be used to highlight edges and recessed areas after the fact...kind of like pin lining a tank...but on white..it is more difficult as you can see what happens (top photo)...I was kind of kidding when I said I messed up...it's really how it should look :D

I am still a little rusty... but know the the techniques... just applying that is the problem :haha: ....anyway...with white...you put down the base then highlight the area you want to stand out...or give depth to...then with the airbrush...you control spray white again between the darkened areas... in this case I used a blue gray mix ...over spray becomes a tool... as you color between the lines...

You can do quite a bit with an airbrush...I just haven't broken mine out till now :D

Have an upcoming project this winter

So I need the airbrush...and the practice ;)

ALPHA
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Interesting....

So for me I'd need metal primer, on all the metal part's.(hull, etc )
Then base coat whole tank.
Then pre shading.
Then top coat
Finally camo

That sounds about right, have I left anything out... :think:
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Jake79 wrote:Interesting....

So for me I'd need metal primer, on all the metal part's.(hull, etc )
Then base coat whole tank.
Then pre shading.
Then top coat
Finally camo

That sounds about right, have I left anything out... :think:
Hey Jake... Everyone has their own methods... me I don't bother with Primers...a good base coat with a neutral color is fine...for figures usually white...for tanks it really depends on the color you are going to paint your tank...This one is white...the paint I currently use has three really weak colors...that would be white red and yellow...the cool thing is if I want to use any in my airbrush... I can get really good effects with the shading ...it's a back and forth process...sometime switching to the darker color then back to the weak..till you get the effect you want..
You use Tamiya paint...most of theirs are excellent...and rarely go on translucent ....so really ..depending on the color...probably no primer is needed..Tamiya paints usually stick to everything pretty well ...mine chips on metal...anyway you'll see a lot of other members who do primer their tanks...for me it just adds another layer of thickness...sometimes stealing detail....that's the reason I don't bother
Pre shading like what I did on this white tank is because I am using a weak color...if you are doing sand yellow ...grey...or some camo...you can just go with a diluted batch of color and chase over where you want to shade...in most cases the over spray will blend in

Be very careful with Top "clear" coats...especially Tamiya...they Flash...so you have to shoot it straight..no dilution ...I use a passche model H for that stuff...as it is an external mix gun...internal mix guns clog ...you cannot shoot clear that is straight from the bottle...so you might have problems like Marc had on his KT

so your list of steps needs a little changing

Primer (optional)
top coat ...primary color for your tank
camo....
then shading
then finish coat (clear)

Hope this helps

Good Luck

ALPHA
Jake79

Post by Jake79 »

Thanks for that Alpha, yep that all make's sence... :thumbup:
billpe

Post by billpe »

A fine primer, like Tamiya fine metal & plastic primer won't take away detail, the layer is microscopic in thickness. If you're putting an acrylic over metal, you really need a primer in between or it will not hold properly and flake off.
Jake79

Post by Jake79 »

Yes I was going to use a primer on the hull and other metal parts, I read that hear in the UK the Halford's primer was the one to go for....
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Told ya there's different theories on primer... haven't used primer in decades...especially when using Tamiya paints ;)

ALPHA

Return to “General Discussion”