One day rebuild tiger 1

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
mdkboggle
Private

One day rebuild tiger 1

Post by mdkboggle »

I have been bored and as a result of moving home soon i thought it was a good idea to clear up all my spare parts and get them together before they get lost.
But after spending last night sorting loads of old bits i could see i had the parts to build a Tiger 1 out of all the old scrappers i had and so i have slung this together.
The electrics are burnt out so it is atm a non runner but i think i have found a rx13 to fit in there and this i will mess with tomorrow.
The tank is made up of 3 old scrappers that had been broken by my kids years ago and i kept the remains as spares and i am glad i did.
Its not the best thing on tank earth but i did build and paint it all in one day and i even used any old paint i had here to get the colors.
I just mixed the color in the airbrush pot and painted it along the lines of Tiger 121 but as it is clearly not modeled after 121 i used the number 112.
Anyway,as i said,its not great but it is better than a pile of random parts,well maybe. :D :D :D
ImageDSC_0489 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0497 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0494 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0493 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0495 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0490 by mdkboggle, on Flickr

Tim
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: One day rebuild tiger 1

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
*Applause* Great job, Doc. The best use of spare parts when you have enough of them is to build an all new tank. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

COOL :thumbup:

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

well for one days work that's excellent, could have been two weeks work from how good it came out. As for the old RX13 "TEETH GNAASHER" radio, the first think i do i replace with the 2.4 Ghz system...do you plan to no do the three color camo on it? the body looks like it needs no work at all. It's perfect.

I'm a big old loudmouth git about the 2.4 gig system, I think every 1/16 tank needs it, it eliminates much frustration while driving our tanks since it works 100%! I flat out HATE the RX18's and older, they dont work right, can never GEt them to work right, would have given up the hobby long ago if it hadn't been for the 2.4 gig radios.
The radio system tiagen or HL around $100 bucks, or less...truth be told Mideatech on eabay has, and entire new t-34/85 RTR including the 2.4 Ghz radio for $103 SHIPPED..the cost of the taigen radio alone is $120...been seriously thinking of that because i want a T34- and that sweet deal surely cannot last for long.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Marc780 wrote:well for one days work that's excellent, could have been two weeks work from how good it came out. As for the old RX13 "TEETH GNAASHER" radio, the first think i do i replace with the 2.4 Ghz system...do you plan to no do the three color camo on it? the body looks like it needs no work at all. It's perfect.

I'm a big old loudmouth git about the 2.4 gig system, I think every 1/16 tank needs it, it eliminates much frustration while driving our tanks since it works 100%! I flat out HATE the RX18's and older, they dont work right, can never GEt them to work right, would have given up the hobby long ago if it hadn't been for the 2.4 gig radios.
The radio system tiagen or HL around $100 bucks, or less...truth be told Mideatech on eabay has, and entire new t-34/85 RTR including the 2.4 Ghz radio for $103 SHIPPED..the cost of the taigen radio alone is $120...been seriously thinking of that because i want a T34- and that sweet deal surely cannot last for long.
The T34 is a Sweet tank Marc...you should get one :D ....you're lucky because Mideatech...will ship it to you free...they also have the 2.4 gig rig for 80 dollars US also shipped free ;)
I like them...they aren't perfect ..they are reliable ...I've bought most of my tanks from them ...though I usually just bump for the pro models :thumbup:

ALPHA
Scottie
Recruit

Post by Scottie »

I like it ! I wish I could get that much accomplished in one day. Nice job.
mdkboggle
Private

Post by mdkboggle »

Thanks guys
Only problem is i have now scrapped it again lol but i am re building it with the following parts.

Taigen metal lower hull (forgebear)
metal front hatches (forgebear)
metal headlights (forgebear)
metal gearboxes (from my brother)
metal sprockets (from my brother)
full set of metal road wheels (non rubber) (forgebear)
metal tracks (from my brother)
metal mud flaps (forgebear)
Taigen ir turret with recoil (welsh dragon models)
led metal machine gun (forgebear)
Taigen Armoured Transmission & Engine Covers (forgebear)

and this is just the start and all because i am bored.
Electrics will be elmod pro (probably) but will deff not be any standard stuff.
I may also fit pe grills and other detail parts as i see fit for a working model.

So why am i doing all this and not buying Tamiya?
I blame a heng long sherman pro version for all this.
I have never seen a model tank of any make plow through the cabbage like this will,i mean grass 2 foot high in mass dense clumps.The tank got so bound up in this cabbage it ripped the rear tow hook off the model and the lifting ring on the top of the turret and still it went on without fault of any kind,so now i hope i can build a Tiger 1 that will be as robust as this sherman,i even took a video of it in the cabbage and i should put it on youtube,it's like a little green sherman nutter.

I can,if you guys are even remotely interested,post build pics and a log if you want but i have no idea where this tiger is going to take us as nothing is set in stone and there are no plans other than it being a early tiger.

Anyway,good luck all and buy a cabbage eating sherman,you wont be sorry :)

Tim
mdkboggle
Private

Post by mdkboggle »

Thank you forebear for all the parts you have sent me and also thank you to welsh Dragon Models for your parts as well.
Well,it is built,sort of anyway.
If you have ever looked at anything i do,i tent to build them,paint them then alter them,don't ask why i do it like that cos i don't know lol.
I have given the model it's first coat of sand but i need to add some damage to the turret bin and the rear of the tank yet and i also have to start thinking about how everything will wire up to elmod.
Because i have a flash/recoil turret i have no clue what wires do what and what will go where,not yet anyway but i guess it will sort it's self out in time.

Things that i did that were not in any of my plans were.....
Move the turret back 10 mm.
This was done because a taigen turret will not fit to a heng long top deck,the turret hole is to small as the Taigen turret uses a larger mounting ring,and so i cut the ring off the deck and moved it back and at the same time i enlarged the ring to take the turret.
Now it all fits well,is solid and the turret glides on it's new mount.
I also formed the missing cap at the front of the tank,the one in the middle/front of the hull on the top deck between the 2 front hatches.I shaped it from milliput.
Loads still to do and i will add some pic's to this post when they have uploaded to flickr via edit.
ok here are the pic's.
This is the tank as it stands tonight.
ImageDSC_0562 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
it all started here with the new lower hull,here we see motors fitted.
ImageDSC_0537 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
Then the fitting of the headlights and hatches
ImageDSC_0538 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
Because the turret did not fit i altered the mounting ring in size and location as well as remove the mirror antenna tube.
ImageDSC_0545 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
Here is the turret ring in it's new location and showing the larger diameter.
ImageDSC_0548 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
Now the turret fits we can sand down and move on.
ImageDSC_0549 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0550 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
Next was to fit the wheels (temp with no rubber) and prime some parts
ImageDSC_0558 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
And here it is so far,lots to do but getting there.
ImageDSC_0566 by mdkboggle, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0564 by mdkboggle, on Flickr

Ok thats it for now but there will be more soon.

Tim

Return to “General Discussion”