Hall of the KV-4 proposals

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Giganaut
Corporal

Hall of the KV-4 proposals

Post by Giganaut »

The KV-4 Project:
note: i modelled these in Google sketchup, with existing plans provided in Battlefield.ru with their collected data given.(somewhat proved to be a bit insufficient because it was missing a few things.) also if one wishes to make a scratch built KV-4 or a kitbash KV-4, i'd be willing to give you the dimensions and blueprints as i tried to make it as closely to the blueprints

This particular KV series is an interesting one in the Kliment Voroshilov heavy tank program. Its design purpose was to withstand any german gun and to destroy any opposing heavy german tanks. It was to remain unbuilt as its design proposals will be used if the time comes when it is needed.
Designers began to work on the KV-4 design in April 1941. Since the Kirov Plant did not have experience in this area, the chief of the SKB-2, J. Kotin, assigned almost all the engineers of his design bureau to the design of this tank and placed it on a competitive basis.

All the designers addressed this assignment with great enthusiasm. Their task was sufficiently difficult: the mounting of two cannons and 125-130 mm armor that had never been employed before on Soviet tanks led to the necessity to strengthen the chassis and conditioned a sharp increase in the weight of the tank. The creative thought of the participants in the design was not limited, and the designers took advantage of this. In consideration of the required specifications, they developed and put forth a relatively diverse spectrum of ideas. They considered the design of 80-, 90-, and even 100-ton tanks. The lightest of the designs was submitted by engineer N. Dukhov - 82.5 tons. The heaviest was by the designer G. Kruchenykh - 107 tons.

The layout decisions were also very diverse. Designers K. Buganov,G. Kruchenykh, F. Marishkin, G. Moskvin, N. Strukov, and S. Fedorenko, each working on his own design, suggested single-turret variants of the heavy tank with the mounting of the 107 mm Tank Cannon in the main turret, and a 45 mm Tank Cannon in a small turret located above the main turret, a "second floor" as it were.

Buganov’s proposal
Specifications: (estimated size scaled to fit with KV-1’s road wheel)

Length: 7.03m
Width: 3.3m
Height: 2.77m
Ground clearance: 0.52m
Combat weight: ? tons
Engine: Diesel M-40 outputting 1200hp
Radio: 10-R series
Crew: 5

Armor:
Hull: 130/80/130
Turret: 135/130/130
Sec. Turret: 50/50/50
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
2x 7.62mm DT
1x 45mm 20-K

Kruchenykh’s proposal
Specifications: (direct from Battlefield.ru’s data sheet)
Length: 9.13m
Width: 4.03m
Height: 3.78m
Ground clearance: 0.55m
Combat weight: 107 tons
Crew: 9
Armor:
Hull: 130/130/130
Turret: 140 /140/140
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
1x 45mm 20-k
3x 7.62mm DT
1x flamethrower (frontal sec. turret)

Fedorenko’s proposal
Length: 8.8m
Width: 3.675m
Height: 3.635m
Ground clearance: 0.45m
Crew: 6
Armor:
Hull: 130/130/130
Turret: 140/140/140
Sec. Turret: 120/120/120
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
3x 7.62mm DT
1x unknown gun (receiver in plan loos too big for a DT.)
1x 45mm 20-K (AA purposes)

Designers A. Yermolaev, L. Sychev, L. Pereverzev, Bykov, and two workers whose signatures are missing from the working drawings, suggested a two-turret variant of the tank with the mounting of a 107 mm Cannon in a large central turret, as on the SMK tank, and a 45 mm Gun in a separate turret located in the bow portion of the hull.

Pereverzev's proposal
Specifications: (scaled to KV-1 road wheel)
Length: 9.4m
Width: 3.57m
Height: 3.45m
Ground clearance: 0.5m
Crew: 9
Armor:
Hull: 140/125/130
Turret: 140 /130/130
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
1x 45mm 20-k
4x 7.62mm DT

KV-4 that was done by an unknown author. so i decided to name it the KV-4 11. as it is named after it's plan's filename
also the tank is scaled to KV-1's roadwheel also since it had the secondary turret in the front hull, so i'll place this under categories with perevezev's

Proposal 11
Specifications: tank scaled to KV-1s roadwheel
Length: 8.317m
Width: 3.572m
Height: 3.121m
Ground clearance: 0.561m
Armor:
Hull: 135/130/135
Turret: 135/135/135
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
1x 45mm 20-k
3x 7.62mm DT

Designers N. Dukhov (model existing ingame) and M. Kreslavskiy in their designs recommended pairing the guns in one turret, and engineer N. Shashmurin proposed mounting the 107 mm Cannon in a casemate fashion in the hull on a pedestal with a 30-degree angle of firing to the horizon. This designer foreswore the 45 mm Gun and in its place mounted a 76 mm Gun in a production KV-1 tank turret on an enormous hull with significantly lengthened chassis components.

Kreslavsky’s proposal
Length: 9m
Width: 4m
Height: 3.225m
Ground clearance: 0.6m
Combat weight: 92.6 tons
Armor:
Hull: 130/125/130
Turret: 135/140/135
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
3x 7.62mm DT
1x 45mm 20-K (Coaxial)

Shashmurin’s proposal
Length: 8.35m
Width: 3.53m
Height: 3.121m
Crew: 6-7
Armor:
Hull: 135/100/125
Turret: 60/60/60
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6 (casemate/ hull mounted)
2x 7.62mm DT
1x 76mm L-11 (turret)

Two designers, P. Mikhailov and G. Turchaninov, in their designs recommended the mounting of the 45 mm Gun casemate fashion, having cut an embrasure for it in the frontal armor plate of the tank's hull, and they placed the 107 mm Cannon in a standard tank turret on the vehicle's hull.

Mikhailov’s proposal
Length: 9.m
Width: 3.6m
Height: 3.m
Combat weight: 86 tons
Crew: 5
Max fuel load: 2800 litres (located next to the engine position and ½ way across the turret ring)
Armor:
Hull: 180/150/130
Turret: 140 (conical)
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
2x 7.62mm DT
1x 45mm 20-K

Only engineer N. Tseits rejected the mounting of a second gun. He suggested the mounting of the 107 mm Cannon in a standard tank turret, laying it out in circular form so that the entire basic load of 120 fixed rounds were stowed along the walls of the cylindrical turret. This design stood out for its originality and in the future created fertile soil for employment of an auto-loading mechanism.

Tseits’ proposal
Length: 8.35m
Width: 4.03m
Height: 3.62m
Ground clearance: 0.55m
Combat weight: 90 tons
Crew: 7
Armor:
Hull: 130/125/125
Turret: 140 (cylindrical)
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
2x 7.62mm DT

In a collective design submitted by three authors (P. Tarapatin, K. Kuzmin, and V. Tarotko), the 107 mm Cannon was positioned in the turret with a limited angle of rotation (130°). The designers V. Pavlov and D. Grigorev reached the same decision, but for the 45mm gun and not the 107 mm Cannon. Outside of the design parameters, some designers recommended the mounting of a flamethrower on the tank.

Tarapantin,Kuzmin&Tarotko’s proposal
Length: 9.26m
Width: 3.79m
Height: 3.175m
Combat weight: 88 tons
Armor:
Hull: 130/125/125
Turret: 130 (cylindrical casemate)
Armaments:
1x 107mm Zis-6
3x 7.62mm DT
1x 45mm 20-K

There were also some original suggestions for the armor of the KV-4 tank. For example, K. Buganov and F. Marishkin selected a means of armor plating the tank turret in a form so that its ring was deep in the hull, which excluded jamming with the strike of projectiles and shrapnel, as happened during the tests of the KV-1 tank at Kubinka.
G. Kruchenykh and N. Strukov recommended a tank turret that was rhomboid-shaped with rounded angles, and engineer S. Fedorenko designed a turret with a non-traditional curved form with the mounting of two DT machine-guns and a 45 mm Gun on an original turret mounting, which permitted a rifleman to conduct fire without exposing himself from the hatch.
In their designs these workers frequently resorted to other methods that had not been encountered earlier in tank design. For example, engineer P. Mikhailov developed an original tracked loop for their vehicle.
Five designers placed the engine and transmission in the front portion of the hull, which was an unusual decision for heavy tanks. Engineer N. Tseits suggested the placement of the engine in the stern and the transmission in the bow. L. Pereverzev recommended the pair of drive sprockets in the stern of the vehicle be removed from the hull and fastened to mounts, which gave some economy in the armor protection of the vehicle as a whole but at the same time made this most important component of the vehicle particularly vulnerable.
An analysis of the preserved drawings (about 20 variants of the KV-4 tank design have reached us) attests that many of the designs contain valuable from the design point of view decisions and fully deserve patenting at the inventor level. Work on the KV-4 project was conducted in the troubling prewar days and therefore authorship of the most interesting suggestions remains unconfirmed.

Quoted from http://www.battlefield.ru
tank sketchup models by me
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
IJA Type 5 heavy 160ton (to be 3d printed)
FCM F1 (awaiting electronics)
Jagdpanzer E-100 (3D printing in progress)
Lord Haw-Haw
Private

Re: Hall of the KV-4 proposals

Post by Lord Haw-Haw »

Great looking static 3D's.
You should try porting these models into the "Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942" environment. http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=60.0 and or http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Some very nice models there.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Man Gigs .... if you can do diagrams like that... you should invest in a 3D printer...you could make parts or even a whole tank with one... check out the work by Woz and Edwin...I'm pretty sure one of those guys will be making whole tanks soon :D

ALPHA
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

ALPHA wrote:Man Gigs .... if you can do diagrams like that... you should invest in a 3D printer...you could make parts or even a whole tank with one... check out the work by Woz and Edwin...I'm pretty sure one of those guys will be making whole tanks soon :D

ALPHA

yes,the idea of having the 3D printer started around 3 years ago, and i do wish to make some scratch built tanks as well as the 3d printed parts aswell haha
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

billpe wrote:Some very nice models there.
thank you sir!
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Giganaut wrote:
ALPHA wrote:Man Gigs .... if you can do diagrams like that... you should invest in a 3D printer...you could make parts or even a whole tank with one... check out the work by Woz and Edwin...I'm pretty sure one of those guys will be making whole tanks soon :D

ALPHA

yes,the idea of having the 3D printer started around 3 years ago, and i do wish to make some scratch built tanks as well as the 3d printed parts aswell haha
In some ways I think you are ahead of Woz and Edwin...as the main obstacle for them is the graphic ....you have the graphic layout skill... which is important I believe...so once you merge the two... I really think you will have something good going ;)

ALPHA
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

ALPHA wrote: In some ways I think you are ahead of Woz and Edwin...as the main obstacle for them is the graphic ....you have the graphic layout skill... which is important I believe...so once you merge the two... I really think you will have something good going ;)

ALPHA

i've also modeled the British Nuffield AT series as well from the AT-1 to the AT-18
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

Giganaut wrote:

ALPHA

The problem is that once you start printing things you'll find reasons to print the rest of it.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Woz wrote:
Giganaut wrote:

ALPHA

The problem is that once you start printing things you'll find reasons to print the rest of it.
:haha: Question that lay at hand...is that really a problem lol ....Setting the Graphic for those printers looks tough ...gotta hand it to you Woz ...you've done a great job :thumbup:

ALPHA

Return to “General Discussion”